Building a 24v dc power source

You are looking at a very large transformer (650-800VA) to put out 25-30A rectified DC at the other end, most computer chargers are 1-2A (maybe 30VA). A transformer of this size would be very heavy, shipping alone would be expensive, not something you have laying around. Just being practical, I think you are better off with a switching power supply at the end of the day. As mentioned you want fusing, power switch, enclosure, etc. which is going to add up. 30A is a lot of current, if you want to pursue a transformer design I would fuse both the input (6A) and output (30A). A DC motor would not typically need a regulated output, but may benefit from some filtering (RC), you would need very robust capacitors and resistors for this level of current. This is an 800VA 20VAC output that once rectified will be in the 24VDC range.
http://www.antekinc.com/an-8420-800va-20v-transformer/

If you just want to see if it works, get/borrow two car batteries and connect them in series with some jumper cables.

This one on eBay is $35 + FedEx shipping is $14.40, total under $50 is a deal, these normally sell for $250+.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARTESYN-Power-Supply-LCM600Q-Out-24VDC-27A-Max-4B/163146238161

LCM600Q.jpg

I looked into a 120 motor in that style it goes for 359. The motor I’m using is a ametek 3stage vac motor. It says they are used for central vac systems which has the lift I need.
A shop vac is annoying loud. I have one now dedicated for the SG but it’s loud.
I already had mounted a squirrel cage type fan which is rated at 650 cfm and it works but does not have the suction I’m after. The motor only spun to 1500rpm so I replaced with a 3000rpm motor and it works better but not what I need. I figured I had the vac motor on hand brand new let’s see if I could make it work. I’ll figure something out eventually.

Is there a lot of leakage on these vac chucks? Would a A/C vac pump do any good. Makes very high vacuum but not large quantity if there is leakage.
Not real expensive these days and way quiet compared to centrifugal vacs.

For one of my 24v power supplies that runs my Z axis and a tool post grinder i used an old wire feed welder (130amp) I took excess parts out and cut down the chassis. (Don't need feed motor or space for wire roll)
The transformer has multiple windings so voltage is selectable.

Rgray thanks I’m building a metal dust vacuum system for the surface grinder not a vacuum table at least not YET.
I’m gonna see about one of those blow up jump house blowers. I have one and if I remember right it has a nice impeller on there so it might be the ticket. I’m trying to keep as compact as possible and as quiet as a machine running and as much suction as possible. Tall order but doable I think. Will see

Your 24v motor is over 3/4 HP.
Buy a switched power supply, but provide "spike protection".
Rots of Ruck.

Thanks for the response bill. I wish you were my neighbor! I’m sorry I don’t know what you mean by regulated or not. I can guess but that’s why I’m in the situation I’m in. I have a lot to go over and think about I’ll look into the transformer build. Thanks again

A brute force 24 volt supply is stupid simple.

If you do not understand some basics then forget about building something.

25 amps at 24 volts is not enough information.

Duty cycle and run time may be helpful.

If prototyping and project is not finished just pick up a couple car batteries or alarm garden tractor batteries and some elcheapo battery chargers as dofur and work on what you know.

There are many basic led power units of varying voltages and currents and a "switch mode" is common design that outputs good current in a small package.

Is your project a one of a kind for personal use or are you planning on making for others.
.if making for others place a call to a parts house like digi-key and they can offer many units to meet your need and as such you have a reliable source for replacements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm an electrical engineer by training, and have designed/built linear and switching power supplies for various projects, but these days I wouldn't take the DIY route for a PSU. I'd rather buy an off-the-shelf switcher and get on with what I really want to do (and get there sooner with less money spent IMHO).

For the price you get V+/Ground sensing, fault protection and high efficiency. But that's just me. Good luck with whatever route you decide to take!

I have one I don't need any more. It's two server switching power supplies in series to output 24V.
75 amps each so 150 total. Has 4 taps you can pull 12V or 24V. $50 shipped to your door.

Back