Building a better mousetrap: Drill bit sharpening jig

Can.t resist getting into this! I have an Enco Tool Grinding Machine that I believe is similar to a surface grinder and in the attachments for this machine to sharpen drill bits is a picture of the tool Bob Korves used in his post. I inherited a similar tool 30 years ago and have found it to work quite well once I learned how to use it.
Basically I place the bit in it with the cutting edges as near vertical as I can, then rotate it counter clockwise to grind the face on one side of the bit alternating faces with the same depth adjustment as I go. This requires that the "swing" is greater than 90` so that the bit can be placed close to the stone so it will grind the cutting edge straight up and down. The tool grinding machine facilitates setting the bit as close as required
A note about grinding on the side of the stone. I used this set-up using my bench grinder long enough with out changing the stone until I noticed the stone was showing a taper due to bit sharpening. Sharpening on the side of the stone will require occasional trueing of the side, not having tooling to do this I changed stones.
Have a good day
Ray

Back