Building a better mousetrap: Drill bit sharpening jig

:grin: Good candidate for a desk jockey ! :grin:
If I had 40hrs/week of papers to push, I'd have him on it. He's a good kid, hard worker and very eager to please. But he grew up without a masculine influence and knows very little about anything. He has no problem getting his hands dirty changing axle bearings, but until I told him to change them, didn't know axles had bearings or what they were for. There are a lot of "training moments."

Have you looked at gadgetbuilder.com website = there you can find a four facet drill sharpener that will sharpen up to .5 inch diameter bits and is simple to use (not necessarily to make) Just more ideas to consider
I don't want to forget to reply to this. I'm still browsing that site. Lots of information, hard to not get side tracked. Thanks for the suggestion.

I own a kid like that ! :grin: Very very smart , makes damn good money , couldn't give a good crap about anything mechanical ! ( I taught him well ) ;):)

d0a87e1b57163448b2ff7ab76697b8cb.jpg
this is my SRD drill grinder. Thought I’d throw a picture of it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to go through the work of adding human figures to a rendering at the very least give them eyes.
Or at least title the thread "featureless humanoids using a tool" (-:
It's sketchup. Each time you create a new model they drop this faceless creep "josh" into the center. My first step is usually to delete him but I decided to keep him around for scale this time.
Aw shucks, fellers ... at least Josh has a mouth ... which is more than you can say for Dilbert.

I purchased a Drill Doctor Classic like this one over 20 years ago:
https://www.drilldoctor.com/dd750classic.html

It worked fine for about 10 years, then started to show some wear. At the time I was sharpening around 50 drills a month. Over time the wear got to the point it took more time to do a setup than it was worth.

A friend of mine had a Black Diamond grinder setting in the back of his commercial shop for around 5 years. He bought it as part of a lot from a National Guard repair depot when they were closing down. He never used it and offered it to me for a reasonable price a couple years ago. It's a great machine and took all of about 5 minutes to understand how to operate it. Since purchasing it I've managed to sharpen most of the drills that I had been throwing in the drawers since I was too cheap to throw them away and too lazy to spend the time to sharpen them on the Drill Doctor.

In all I think I've sharpened around 500 drills ranging in size from #52 to 3/4". It takes about a minute to do each one, and when finished they cut better than they did when new. The machine is so easy to operate I don't mind taking the time to sharpen a drill even in the middle of a job. With the number of drills I purchased during the time I wasn't using the Drill Doctor I think I have enough to last a lifetime.

Here's a couple pictures of the Black Diamond Drill Grinder. They are outrageously priced when new, but there are a number of good used ones on the market for a more reasonable price:

DSC09987A.jpgDSC09988A.JPG

Over seven grand new. This is one serious drill bit grinder.

Over seven grand new. This is one serious drill bit grinder.

It does have a serious price tag if purchased new, but then again it was probably cheap as far as the military was concerned. If you remember this was the era when they were paying $500.00 for a toilet seat and $700.00 for a hammer. On the other hand I paid only slightly more for it than I did for my original Drill Doctor. It came with a nearly complete set of collets, and a spare wheel.

It's a bit of an oddity in that it has a 220 volt 3 phase 1/3 hp motor. That was probably intended to deter theft. Too bad they didn't check the power requirements before they bought it. The shop it was purchased for didn't have 3 phase power. It sat in a corner unused since 1974.

I would sell you my drill doctor but I AM using it as a boat anchor...
If you are trying to grind something to within a couple of thou you can't make the machine and holder out of flexible plastic.
Robert

Back