Building a cnc plasma cutter

Durma

Registered
Registered
Hello all!

@Tmate and @DavidR8, I was told you two might be good ones to ask...

New here but have done some looking around and along with a friend (who has built a cnc router years ago) have a list of things to buy but I wanted some input any off you may have. One thing is the THC?

I have some cnc expierence... work at a shop where I run Haas machines and have 20 or so years of experience building, fabricating, and welding.

Looking to build a 5x10 cnc plasma table and will be using either a Everlast or a Hypertherm plasma depending how much I spend on the table.

Here is what Im looking at getting:

Stepper motors:

Control Board w/ smoothstepper:

Drivers:

Power supply:

THC:
Really unsure about this but was looking at the Warprunner

Linear rails:
HGR20 from ebay

Helical gear rack:
from avidcnc

And of course all the small things like proximity sensors, e-stop, shielded wire etc.

What are you going to use for your frame material?

That is a pretty big machine for some of the parts you are thinking about. You won't be happy at all with a 36V power supply. I would at least upgrade the drives and power supply. Especially the power supply, switching power supplies don't work well as a stepper power supply. You need a linear power supply.

I have no opinion on the WarpRunner THC. I'm curious to know how well it works.

That is a pretty big machine for some of the parts you are thinking about. You won't be happy at all with a 36V power supply. I would at least upgrade the drives and power supply. Especially the power supply, switching power supplies don't work well as a stepper power supply. You need a linear power supply.

I have no opinion on the WarpRunner THC. I'm curious to know how well it works.
@JimDawson cool, power supply was another I was thinking I would probably have to change.

What will the other drivers achieve? What's the real world difference in them? How precise the cut is?

@JimDawson is definitely more informed and experienced than me so heed his advice on power supply and stepper size.
What are you thinking for motion?
Ball screws of that length are going to require a rotating ball nut or you will have tremendous whip.
You might want to head over to the PrintNC site and have a look at how those are built for some ideas. I’m nearly finished my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JimDawson is definitely more informed and experienced than me so heed his advice on power supply and stepper size.
What are you thinking for motion?
Ball screws of that length are going to require a rotating ball nut or you will have tremendous whip.
You might want to head over to the PrintNC site and have a look at how those are built for some ideas. I’m nearly finished my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@DavidR8 gonna do helical rack

@JimDawson cool, power supply was another I was thinking I would probably have to change.

What will the other drivers achieve? What's the real world difference in them? How precise the cut is?

The 80V drivers allow you to a 72V or 80V power supply which will give you about a 4X increase in motor performance over the 36V supply. For precise cuts with a plasma torch you need to be able to achieve high acceleration rates, specially around corners. More voltage allows you to flatten the torque curve on the motors thus allowing greater torque at higher RPMs.

Back