Building a fine feed for a small Hormier mill/drill that didn't have one

Thanks again..

Took a look at my drill presses - both seem to have a 1.25 inch dia shaft. The Clausing 16 inch has some clearance issues with the quill
depth gauge. But still can most likely do. The Powermatic 1200 has zero clearance issues. Having said that looks like they will take
Some big diameter gears with stock shafts. I could may take that part of the shaft down to 1.00 - but wouldn't want to go any further.

I am determined to make a setup! Even if I only use it for small diameter drilling.. I have always thought about this but never saw
a "clean" and clear cut modification. That's until I found yours.. I have been looking around for a stock power feed but most want
the $ of a used drill press just for a feed. You can find clausing units - but I have never seen a Powermatic Feed unit by its self.

At any rate - this is/will be one of my first machining projects :) . I will have to have someone do some of the machining - but
all the leg work and prep I can do to save on $$..

I will keep you posted just for a FYI.. Hopefully that alone will drive me to do it!

Belated reply... I have I think this exact same machine, and I found this thread searching for "adding a fine feed to a drill press" with the idea to add a fine feed to mine. Elegant and simple. Thank you. Much simpler than any of the ideas I had been bouncing around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back