Building a Pulse EDM machine

I spent the last two days mounting controls and wiring the transformers. There are still three switches to go in the front cabinet, but they wont be here until tomorrow.

View attachment 227050

The primaries of the transformers are wired. I hooked them up one at a time and measured the voltage to make sure they weren't "bucking" one another. The Three 10 amp, 24 volt secondaries hook in series to give about 77 volts total out.
View attachment 227051

View attachment 227052
The 25 amp bridge rectifiers are mounted to the cabinet bottom near the transformers.

Mark, what's in front of the fan. Is that a diode or primitive type of fuse? (ok no clue)
Nice build , looking forward to seeing it through.

Mark, what's in front of the fan. Is that a diode or primitive type of fuse? (ok no clue)
Nice build , looking forward to seeing it through.
That is a heat sink I made to hold the 8, 50 watt power resistors.

Mark, dumb question but is source power typical 110v/house current or something more substantial?
When you said it would suffice to build Ben Fleming's RC version machine ... what does RC stand for?

Mark, dumb question but is source power typical 110v/house current or something more substantial?
When you said it would suffice to build Ben Fleming's RC version machine ... what does RC stand for?
RC stands for relaxation circuit I believe. It uses a capacitor discharge to spark the gap.

These machines use standard 110 v house current.

I spent the last few days wiring the control. I stuffed the PCB all but the MOSfet's> They were back ordered on my original order from Mouser Electronics and they have a 15 week lead time. That is too long, so I ordered some from Allied Electronics and they are on their way. I will finish the PCB when they arrive. Meanwhile, I began wiring the panel. I wired the high voltage circuit and checked it with the volt meter. I have 108 VDC. Next I installed the PCB to get the rest of the panel wired. I am working on that while waiting for the MOSfet's.
wiring the control.jpg I figure a couple more days to get this part done. The fan blows very well through the power resistors. That is a good thing,

The control is completely wired EXCEPT for the four MOSfets. They should be here Tuesday. Once they are installed I can begin the testing of the control to make sure all is right.
wired control.jpg

On the rear of the control cabinet is a low resistance foam filter to keep dust out. There will be a wire guard on the outlet but it is not here yet.
rear view.jpg

The front panel and controls are complete except for the knobs and they should be here Tuesday also.
Front of control completed.jpg

Once the control is complete and operational, I will begin wiring the servo head.

Ok Mark where did you find the heath kit to build this. I'm sure you remember those. High quality electronics most could build. Great job , I've got so many irons in the fire but this looks doable even for me. I need to stay off this site , makes me add more builds to do. Not enough projects , guess if I live to be a hundred I can get caught up. Thanks for all your builds , still think someone should make YouTube videos of your work. Great teachers are hard to find and you do it naturally.

Ok Mark where did you find the heath kit to build this. I'm sure you remember those. High quality electronics most could build. Great job , I've got so many irons in the fire but this looks doable even for me. I need to stay off this site , makes me add more builds to do. Not enough projects , guess if I live to be a hundred I can get caught up. Thanks for all your builds , still think someone should make YouTube videos of your work. Great teachers are hard to find and you do it naturally.

Thank you. That front panel made a BIG difference. I had it made at a local engraving shop for $100.:eek: Yes it was expensive but worth it.
I remember Heath Kits. Built a few back in my teens ( 50 years ago or more ) :grin big:. It is amazing how much I forgot about electronics (having been out of it for over twenty years)
I definitely won't live long enough to build all the projects in my head and if I spent the time it would take ME to make a video, I wouldn't get anything done.:faint:
LMAO

Back