Building a Pulse EDM machine

Theirs this vid i saw the other day where a guy explains his CNC EDM drill build.

Stu

Theirs this vid i saw the other day where a guy explains his CNC EDM drill build.

Stu
I watched that the other day, which is what got me interested. Unfortunately he utilized a lot of premade items that are pricy. But I suppose combining info from both this thread and the video, one could make it work. Thanks for bringing it up.

I watched that the other day, which is what got me interested. Unfortunately he utilized a lot of premade items that are pricy. But I suppose combining info from both this thread and the video, one could make it work. Thanks for bringing it up.

Yeah , the parts can add up quite quickly, the gantry cnc part could be simplified or eliminated if you wanted manual drilling or just to get the electronics side of it all working first.

Theirs someone hear who has built an EDM that was quite basic for removing broken taps and such , sorry I can't remember who.

Stu

Hey Paul,

These things do NOT need to break the bank.
I tried a home-brew approach.

I started small with a proof of concept one:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-edm-project.41481/

Then once I knew it could work, I moved on to an arduino controlled unit:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ge-machine-version-2-edmv2.49689/#post-418210

That arduino controller was under $5 on ebay, most of the rest was stuff on hand.........but I'm a pack-rat.....

-brino

Last edited:
Mine was ultra cheap.
Not fast but has done heaps for me.
from message 14

I started working on the ram today.
View attachment 226542
I made an aluminum block and bored each side for a ball bearing. This will hold the lead screw that moves the electrode up and down. It will mount to the aluminum bar that serves as the ram base.

View attachment 226543The drawer slide has been cut down to length and will also mount on the base bar. It now has 4 inches of travel. You can also see the brass lead screw nut in the photo.
View attachment 226544 I am single point threading the 3/8-24 lead screw in the lathe to get a good fit on the brass nut. It cannot have any backlash.
I got the fan structure finished and the fan mounted.
View attachment 226423

The fan essentially will blow through a box to cool the resisters. The fan is 100 CFM. I think it should do the trick. I have designed a bracket to hold the resistors in front of the fan. It will be next on my list.
View attachment 226424 The "box" is completed when the cover is on.

A friend spent a lot of time making me an aluminum work tank from .085" thick aluminum. It is 18" X 12" X 8"
View attachment 226426
He cut it, bent it and then tried to weld it on the corners. No matter what we did we could not weld this aluminum. We called the supplier and found it it is not weldable. This aluminum is a cheap grade from china and it will not weld. They said it has to be epoxied, but the epoxy is horrendously expensive. So ...... I am going to pop rivet angles on the corners and seal the inside of the corners wit fiberglass if it will stand up to the dielectric or kerosene.... I think it will, but if anyone knows different, let me know. I hate to waste a nice tank.
View attachment 226425

Time to start wiring the control.
That is a nice recommendation using this EDM tools into the machine. Thanks for this initiative.

back to main q & finally find some time and $ to continue this project :)
i think to pick 3x of these transformators relatively cheap with input 220v & output 24V 12.5A
by book these will work ok output is 24v and 10-12amp
so rest will be connected like in book with 110v transformators
is this ok ?

will this one work

Transformer: toroidal; 300VA; 230VAC; 24V; 12.5A; 2.9kg; Ø: 118mm

by specs he should work, and by book 3 of these will need to be rectified to get a bit more then 110vdc
help :)

Продолжение следует ? Какие успехи? Я собираюсь сейчас

Продолжение следует ? Какие успехи? Я собираюсь сейчас

From google translate:
To be continued ? What are the successes? I'm going now

Hello @alkg.
Welcome to the group!
Unfortunately the originator of this thread was facing mounting health issues before he could finish this build.
He decided to seriously scale down and he sold most of his shop.
He has not posted here in a couple years now.
-brino

...and also in Russian, again from google translate:
Добро пожаловать в группу! К сожалению, создатель этой ветки столкнулся с растущими проблемами со здоровьем, прежде чем смог завершить сборку. Он решил серьезно сократить масштабы и продал большую часть своего магазина. Он не писал здесь уже пару лет. -brino

Back