Building a Shaper experiences-

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi all-

I've once again made the mistake of looking at shapers and feel like I want one in some way or another. I'm not sure how much I'd use it, or for what (though I might end up like Abom79 and just use it for just about everything, who knows!). The Atlas 7" ones seem like a good deal, but they show up quite rarely in the Pac-NW and I made the mistake of not snatching the only one I've seen in years at the end of last year (or so?).

SO, I've thought of making one. I have a couple of options that I wanted feedback/thoughts on. Talk me into/out of something :)

1- Strong arm hand shaper (http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-subfiles/MMPtools-sub.html). At $500 for a casting kit, this doesn't seem like a bad idea. It seems small enough to put under a table. It is 'cute', and would likely cut keyways/etc which is likely handle the workloads I've had use for a shaper in the past.

2- Gingery Shaper. I bought the book. It seems that most videos on youtube end up being an effort in casting, which I likely won't want to do. Additionally, I've yet to see one that looks like a "really nice machine" rather than a garage project. I have a mill/grinder/lathe, so I'd want whatever I make to LOOK like a good shaper. But the videos I've seen on youtube make these look poorly designed/built, as well as both small capacity wise and large table-wise.

3- Acto Super 8 (https://www.machineryplans.com/product/acto-super-8-metal-shaper-plans/). I splurged and bought the plans last night. Turns out the plan maker is the only one to have actually MADE one. That said, it looks really great! Perhaps bigger than I need, and requires that I get a stick welder/learn what I'm doing, but perhaps the nicest?

SO, what should I do HM forum? The realist in me is leaning toward #1 and to just use it to cut keyways when I need to . The adventurer in me wants to do #3, but I've got no idea if I'd ever actually finish. What would you do?

That super 8 looks like quite a nice machine...

The down under Super 8 does have some nice features and probably can be built from scrap and/or modified to what you find. How did you find out that only one has been built? Too much work and cost to build?

The down under Super 8 does have some nice features and probably can be built from scrap and/or modified to what you find. How did you find out that only one has been built? Too much work and cost to build?
I emailed the guy selling the plans, he's not familiar with anyone having built one (other than himself). The plans are reasonably OK from what I see, so I imagine it is simply the amount of work involved.

It is actually not too bad from what I can see. There aren't any particularly difficult operations (besides the obvious welding) that I can see, particularly once you have a mill. It is just a HUGE project (212 drawings!), so I can imagine it is discouraging.

I am interested in the Super 8 too, but more in the how/why of construction to apply to the shaper that i'm building, a model of the Cincinnati XM-1, since it is also of welded construction.

Small shapers do come up for sale here and there. Whenever I think about taking on projects like this, I tend to go looking for what's available used.

I'd look at it like this: do you want a tool or a project? Make your decision based on that.

Welded construction does sound appealing. Are the fundamental parts fairly simple, despite there being a lot of them?

Small shapers do come up for sale here and there. Whenever I think about taking on projects like this, I tend to go looking for what's available used.

I'd look at it like this: do you want a tool or a project? Make your decision based on that.

Welded construction does sound appealing. Are the fundamental parts fairly simple, despite there being a lot of them?
That is of course the question :)

The fundamental parts are all pretty easy, and almost exclusively made out of plate, angle, and hollow square tube. The parts are all seemingly pretty simple.

That said, I don't have a welder (and haven't stick welded, only did MIG), so I'm not sure if I'm up for a project THAT big.

If you want a shaper it is easier to find a used one and restore it.

If you want a shaper it is easier to find a used one and restore it.
They unfortunately show up pretty rarely in the Portland area. I've only seen 1 in the last few years and I foolishly didn't jump on it!

I DID have an additional idea... A shaper attachment for the mill-head seems like it shouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't have the table auto-feed, but I could at least do keyways and so forth. I was thinking that it would be a pretty simple set of parts to do so.

Back