Building a Shaper experiences-

How much room do you have? A lot of times you can get better deals on larger shapers because nobody wants them.

How much room do you have? A lot of times you can get better deals on larger shapers because nobody wants them.

Ive done that with my lathe and surface grinder already :) It would require giving up more floor space than I'd want I think. I'll already end up having to move my safe out of the shop for a shaper I think. I have a pretty sizable shop, but I split it with wood-working (which takes up ~2/3).

Ive done that with my lathe and surface grinder already :) It would require giving up more floor space than I'd want I think. I'll already end up having to move my safe out of the shop for a shaper I think. I have a pretty sizable shop, but I split it with wood-working (which takes up ~2/3).
Actually... a nice looking 7B is on Facebook marketplace at the moment about a 45 min drive from me. Unfortunately its at $2k!

Ouch. I sold my Atlas 7 for $1000 alittle over a year ago. It was complete.
Yeah, it doesn't come with a Vise either! It DOES seem to be in nice shape otherwise, and would be worth an overpay, but not 2x.

Yeah, it doesn't come with a Vise either! It DOES seem to be in nice shape otherwise, and would be worth an overpay, but not 2x.
HAH! I messaged her anyway asking if she was flexible on the price, and her response was that they go for $3500, so $2000 is a great deal :laughing:

Guessing I should go back to dreaming about making one!

HAH! I messaged her anyway asking if she was flexible on the price, and her response was that they go for $3500, so $2000 is a great deal :laughing:

Guessing I should go back to dreaming about making one!

Wait a week, contact her again to take a look in person, then show up with the amount of cash you would spend on it. Most people negotiate much better when you bring your friend Benjamin ;)

John

Wait a week, contact her again to take a look in person, then show up with the amount of cash you would spend on it. Most people negotiate much better when you bring your friend Benjamin ;)

John
:D My plan was to wait a week or two and see if she changed her mind :) She seemed quite sure she was right about it being worth 3500 (and a steal at 2000!), so hopefully the market will show her different.

If not then another one will show up eventually. It's not like these things are in demand by 22-year-olds, the people who have them are all getting older and probably their heirs will be trying to figure out what to do with that old heavy chunk of metal grandpa left in the garage. I suspect your seller is in that category.

If it's only a 45 min drive it might be worthwhile to visit her in person and inspect the thing. When she tells you what it's worth again you can politely decline to pay the asking price and let her know what you're willing to pay. An actual offer from someone with cash may put you at the head of the line when she realizes the mortgage is due and/or she wants the thing out of her life.

John

If not then another one will show up eventually. It's not like these things are in demand by 22-year-olds, the people who have them are all getting older and probably their heirs will be trying to figure out what to do with that old heavy chunk of metal grandpa left in the garage. I suspect your seller is in that category.

If it's only a 45 min drive it might be worthwhile to visit her in person and inspect the thing. When she tells you what it's worth again you can politely decline to pay the asking price and let her know what you're willing to pay. An actual offer from someone with cash may put you at the head of the line when she realizes the mortgage is due and/or she wants the thing out of her life.

John
Offering someone 40% their asking price in person seems pretty insulting to everyone. Turns out she's had it up for at least 2 weeks!

Frankly, I don't NEED a shaper. So I can wait until she's more reasonable. It just makes me kick myself about the $700 one that was up about 6 months ago!

Back