Building a Shop

In floor heat is not particularly cheap to run. It is nice to have warm floors, but the big downside is that you have to keep it pretty much where you want it temp wise all the time, as it can take days to bring a large space up to temp. It is also expensive to install. If you do go that route, or any other for that matter, don't skimp on insulation. It will save you many times it's initial cost over time. R-19 walls and R38 minimum ceilings. Mike

I built a 40x60 shop in Northern Michigan. In floor heat wasn't an option but I would hesitate to do so even if it was. As you know living in Minnesota anything with water in it can be ruined pretty quickly when an unexpected freeze comes. I guess hydronic heating systems can run on anti-freeze but most are done with a hot water boiler system like we have in our home. Those boilers aren't cheap and can be finicky if not installed correctly.

I'd want to be able to walk away from a shop building when the winter gets too cold but obviously any plumbing would need to be blown out and winterized before I could leave. Also having to keep the heat on while I'm sleeping in the house sounds expensive. I had a natural gas fired infrared tube heater in my shop and it would bring the temp up to where I could work in half an hour from 20 deg f. Also warmed up everything in the shop so very comfortable as well as economical.

As pointed out already insulation is key in any extreme climate, if it was me I'd skip the in-floor heat in favor of AC, even if just for a portion of the shop. Also lots of guys like wood heat for shops since it's nearly free when you own the trees already....

John

Oh I'm going to have AC for sure. I've had AC now for a couple years in my shop/garage. Besides keeping it cool I have zero corrosion issues.

I live in Central Michigan and have a pole barn style building that I installed radiant floor heat in. The biggest cost is the insulation under the concrete slab. The tubing for my shop was under $500 for 1250 ft. The 2in ridgid foam was almost $1500. That was in 2011 prices also. I usa a 40 gallon LP gas hot water heater to heat it with. I used about 300 gallons of propane this year to keep it at about 58 degrees all winter.
I was using a propane space heater before that and hated it. It was never warm enough and the fumes were terrible. I can now use my shop anytime I want even after coming home from work for just 20 minutes or so.
It all depends on your budget.

Joe

Right, And I think it is cheaper than it actually is. I was told $30-40 sqft.
Originally was going to have a shouse built but I've abandoned that idea.

Any opinions on stick built shops as opposed to metal pole type shop?

I think it depends on the height of it. Also around here you would need a foundation down 4 ft for a stick built. That's the appeal of post frame style, bore some holes and put posts in.
Joe

Pole barn, unless it's pretty small but then whats the point ;)

Stick buildings will cost you more initially with the extra concrete for the foundation . More lumber also. Pole type buildings are by far cheaper to build. They both have their places. Depends on your budget? I have both kinds here at my place and are happy with each one.
On my pole I notched all my 2x12 headers into the 8x8 posts. Installed hurricane straps to the trusses. 2x6 diagonal bracing notched into the corners.
My other shop I poured a foundation wall with a 6’-6” concrete block wall with 2x6 studs on top with trusses.
Cheers
Martin

Last edited:
Back