Building a table for a lathe

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys

Did you build a lathe bench for your lathe?
Did you use a plan?
Are there any advantages to a wooden bench top (2" inches thick)?
If you used a steel top, then are there any recommended top thicknesses?

Thank you!

Nelson

Like anything else, mass is key.
Wood is the least choice. I currently have a 4-ft SB on a wooden bench, but I'm looking for a slab of steel to put between bench and lathe. 1/2x12"x 40 should do it.

My favorite lathe bench came with a cobbled Atlas 10". It's a 4-ft piece of heavy 16" C-channel, on a base of 3" heavy-wall square tubing.
The Atlas is gone, I kept the bench.

I'll be building one of concrete soon. In fact, if the above-mentioned chunk of 1/2 steel doesn't turn up soon, I'll pour a slab on top of that wood.

Its probably a given that metal is better for a lathe stand, especially when getting into around a 10' and larger - but... you do what you can with whatcha got!

I built this stand about 4 yrs ago for delivery of my new Birmingham 12x36, it was derived from some unknown apparatus won by my friend at an Air Force base auction - stainless steel tanks, loads of wiring/electrics, probably cost us taxpayers a gazillion dollars. Any way, after my buddy stripped the stainless and most of the electrics off, he gave me the frame. After doing some cutting/trimming/shortening, etc, I ended up with this, except for adding 3 pieces of 2x2x3/8" angle welded in to fit the lathes mounting bolts.
stand0001.jpg

I added a piece of 3/4" plywood on top to make a table top area - it doesnt perform any support function - got the lathe mounted, painted it and moved it into its new spot
lathe.jpg

Built the cabinet/drawer modules - the far left is for short specific cut-offs, brass aluminum, cast iron, etc, the middle is for chucks, etc, and the drawers speak for themselves...
IMG_0281.jpg

This is it today with my South Bend and with many more 'extras' gathered around for convience
IMG_1734.jpg

Pacer, that's a really nice bench!

I always have my out out for cast-off/surplus items that can be used for machine stands.
I've not found anything that good.

When I built my lathe bench I mounted the lathe close to the front edge, with the carriage handwheel sticking past the front edge. I did it so I wouldn't have to bend forward when measuring diameters, etc. since my back doesn't appreciate that sort of thing any more. It worked out well. Re-leveling the lathe is on my to-do list; I plan to mount the lathe all the way to the front edge while I'm doing it.

Hi Nelson... You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10957-YALB-(Yet-Another-Lathe-Bench)

Yes, I'm working from a plan which simply is: Make a solid, heavy bench that doesn't budge. If you've ever used a BIG lathe, it's like the difference between a 747 and a single-prop island hopper -and I'm pretty well convinced that a solid bench goes a long way toward that 747 feel. I've got a PM 1236 lathe that weighs a hair over 1000 lbs and it stands to reason it needs to be sitting on a bench that weighs about 1/3 (or more) the weight of the machine. I'm still working on the bench and so far, it's weight is about 300 lbs. When I put shelves and load them up, that will add another 500 lbs or so. -Nothing satisfies like beef!

Ray

I scored a sheet of 3/16 steel that was 2'x5'. I bought a fire wood rack that was 2"x2"x1/4" and choped it up for the legs. I used 2 pieces of 1.5"x2"x1/4" tubing to make stechers that run from front to back legs on each side. Then for support and ridgidness I welded a piece of 4" channel iorn to the leg "hoops". The lathe is bolted to the chanel iorn and the top, now since I have the lathe in its finall resting spot I will level it and bolt it to the floor via some 1/4" feet/tabs. I am in the process of mounting some steel drawers from a tool box with a craterd case (the drawers survived) if the table, after being bolted to the floor, and loaded with tools still feels to light, I will drill each of the 6 leg tops and fill them with brick mortar.droid pics 005.jpgdroid pics 004.jpgdroid pics 003.jpgdroid pics 002.jpgdroid pics 001.jpg

droid pics 005.jpg droid pics 004.jpg droid pics 003.jpg droid pics 002.jpg droid pics 001.jpg

I compromised between wood and metal. Built a wooden bench, but "floated" a piece of 10" C-channel on it, for bolting the lathe down.
Theory is that the C-channel is hefty and non-moving enough to serve as a rigid base, but the wooden bench was easier for me (at the time, at least)
to knock together with drawers for storage, and might even have some vibration-dampening ability.
LatheBench2.JPGLatheBench1.JPG

- John

LatheBench2.JPG LatheBench1.JPG

From my little bit of experience, bolting your lathe stand to a concrete floor, also in theory adds mass. It becomes part of the base.

My "bench" was made with 4 X 6 legs with 3/4" plywood panels on three sides and the bottom. The front is open for storage. There is no top. 1 1/2" angle iron was bolted across the legs and the lathe is bolted to the angle iron.

Bill

Back