Building A Taper Attachment For Sheldon Lathe?

I have a tailstock offset center similar to this and level it using my digital, magnetic base height gauge off of the bed ways. Once it's set it doesn't move.

I picked up a taper attachment from a 10L SBL I intend mounting on my R13 Sheldon lathe. It's not quite the right size but I'll make it work. Making an telescopic screw to replace the standard cross feed screw, no problem. I've done a couple over the years, too! On some of the Sheldon lathes, the telescopic portion of the cross feed screw is already there. They just pin the screw to the piece with the gear cut on it.

The center is marked (taper-tail) got it from a shop i used to work for, and rebuilt it, also made a center for the head stock with a ball bearing in it so you can cut some radical tapers between centers ,enco also makes one but only .010 adjustment101_0684.jpg

also made a center for the head stock with a ball bearing in it
Here I go, switching topics again (sorry BobSchu), but Kernbigo, I would love to see just a hand drawn sketch of the inside of that live center you made. I'm planning on using a boring head, like kd4gij mentioned, because I have one, but no mill yet. I was going to buy a cheap live ctr. with MT-1 shank, and turn shank down to fit the 1/2" hole that accepts boring bars. With your help, (or anyone who has made there own live ctr.) I could make my own. I won't deny that I AM cheap, but I also get a lot of satisfaction from making my own tools. Thanks, JR49

the one with the ball bearing goes in the head stock, the adjustable one goes in the tail stock, the tail stock one is dead

Kernbigo,

Please confirm that when you say use a ball bearing at the headstock end, you mean a ball nose dead center, regardless of how the ball nose is actually realized (could be an actual single ball but doesn't have to be). In which case, why wouldn't you do the same thing on the tailstock end?

Kernbigo, I got your PM, and thanks for the offer to help me on the phone. I would be happy to have a phone conversation with you, but doing so would make me a hypocrite, and here is why. Not sure this has ever happened on this great forum, but sometimes on machinist and airgun (my other hobby) forums, I will be following a thread with great interest because the OP asked questions that I too need answers to. Then, some one who has the answers, finally posts, but says that he will send a pic or an E-mail with the solution. When this happens, I, and anyone else who was following that thread, is out of luck. I am positive that there are many other beginners, and probably some experienced guys who would like to see how you made your LIVE center (I want to put a live ctr. in the adjustable tailstock). Any info you can post would be much appreciated. JR49

Reactions: Guv
Back