Building a train track

If you watch closely, everyone is very aware of the camera being there, so I suspect that this was a special event and everyone knew up front that filming would be taking place. Back in that day and age you ALWAYS dressed appropriately for special events in order to look your very best.

We have many family photos taken back in that era and people would dress up, go to church, then come home and have a fantastic Sunday chicken dinner, and people in the photos were always dressed up, with dad still wearing his white shirt and tie for dinner, even in high summer, especially if company was coming over. Of course, back in those days, visiting relatives on Sundays was a common pastime, too. In the horse and buggy days, visits were usually planned in advance because no one wanted to travel for an hour or two just to find no one home. By the time I was a youngster, Sunday visits were often impromptu, but since travel was by automobile, missing a relative at home often meant that you simply traveled a little further down the road and visited a different relative. After all, you didn't want to drive clear across a county or two for nothing!

Nowadays we think nothing of getting in the car and driving what used to be considered long distances, but what's worse is we often don't even bother visiting with family in person anymore. We all just send emails or contact each other via Facebook or some other social media. Sad. I remember when getting a letter or a visit from a relative who lived far away was a very special event. Times sure have changed.

Sorry for taking this thread off on a tangent, I'll sit back down now!

Back