Building an Aligator

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
An old friend of mine decided we need to build a replica of a steam powered tug boat that was used in this area around the turn of the century. He's gathered about 6 of us to help, one of the chaps actually work on one for a summer in 1946.
A couple of months ago we went up to a logging museum in Algonquin park Ontario to look at one that was rebuilt some time ago.
Unknown.jpeg
This ones about 35 feet long, we're planning on 28 long and 8 1/2 wide. Pretty simple construction, the sides were stacked 2x6s and the bottom 2 inch white oak with metal covered skids on the bottom. They had a steam winch that carried about a mile of 5/8 cable. They'd steam up the lake drop the anchor then steam back hook up to the log boom then winch themselves back to the anchor. Never said it was quick. The unique feature of these crafts was their ability to winch themselves across land around rapids or lake to lake over slopes up to 20 deg, hence the name . The boilers were mounted on a pivot with a jack screw to keep them level.
The working boats had about 15 hp engines, we've got a horizontal boiler rated at 5hp and a vertical engine about 5 inch bore and stroke.
IMG_1208.jpg

Since this one won't be living as hard a life, we're going for 4 inch thick sides but sticking with the 2 inch white oak bottom and white oak skids.
Started laminating up one of the sides this morning.
IMG_1262.jpg
Spruce 2x4s with butyl chalking for a sealant.
She may not end up being the prettiest craft on the water but should be unique.

Greg

Unknown.jpeg IMG_1208.jpg IMG_1262.jpg

Now this sounds like fun. Wish I was closer, I would love to volunteer some help!

Now thats what I call a project. Please keep the pictures coming.I wish I was closer so I could get my hands dirty too.:rofl:
​What is the plan when it's finished?
*************************G***************************
:applause:

I have never heard of an alligator, but it sounds like an interesting build. Show us all as the project progresses.

Put in a couple of hours this morning. The side is almost at height, still two layers of 2x6 white oak to go on. It will give a solid surface for the bottom and a step for the sole to rest on.

IMG_1281.jpg

Greg

IMG_1281.jpg

Put in another day on the Alice May

The second side spiked together.
IMG_1303.jpg

Quality control checking our progress.

IMG_1306.jpg

The angle cut for the prow.

IMG_1315.jpg

Thanks for looking
Greg

IMG_1303.jpg IMG_1306.jpg IMG_1315.jpg

how are you spiking them together, dowels or real spikes or ?

a friend of mine in northern minnesota found one thats sunk in far north minnesota, there is a writeup in the ely paper about its life in the woods / ponds. it was a very simple solution to what i would consider a pretty major problem... nice work by the way. . .

Thanks David. We're using a butyl chalking between the planks and nailing them with galvanized nails, After the bottom and steel edges are in place the plan is to drill down through the sides and pull/reinforce it with 5/8 threaded rod every 2 feet.
Greg

A very interesting and ambitious project, thanks for posting the pictures and info, I wish you guy's all the best with the build and I'm looking forward to seeing the project progress:))

Great project! Look forward to more posts.

Back