Building an Aligator

Cut the rafters for the cabin today, put a 1 inch crown in them to help shed water.
Dr Bill cut the logs and sawed the lumber for the cabin last week, not bad for 86.

IMG_1913.jpg

Greg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Haven't done an update in a while.
Have the cabin roof on and some safety railings.

IMG_2221.jpg

Getting the main shaft bearings ready to pour the babbit.

IMG_2222.jpg

Greg

This is making me feel really old but its been about 40 years since I poured a babbitt bearing when I worked summers in the steel mill.
Kind of like riding a bicycle though.
The last time we used an oil based putty to dam the bearing, not having that available I tried high temp silicone, worked like a charm,
Made up a shield out of fire brick to keep the heat from the 200,000 but propane torch around the ladle.
The shot isn't staged, don't know why the flame doesn't show up.
Warmed the babbitt till a pine stick goes brown in it as I remembered, but also checked it with an heat gun, new technology, around 650 Fahrenheit.
IMG_2260.jpg

Blackened the shaft with acetylene from the torch and preheated the casting ahead of pouring.

IMG_2258.jpg

The boat isn't sitting level so we had to over fill the halves then scrap it back down to the casting.

IMG_2259.jpg

Shimmed the cap up and poured the top.

IMG_2263.jpg

Of course had to have lunch in the middle of the operation, nothing like hot dogs roasted over a propane torch.
Again no flame showing.

IMG_2261.jpg

Need to cut some oil grooves yet but the pour went well.

Thanks for watching,
Greg

Don't have any broaches, or a press big enough to get the gear in so the shaper came to the rescue again.

IMG_1774_2.jpg

About the limit for my little Logan shaper. Bolted a 5x5 angle to the table then clamped the gear to that. The bottom was sitting on the pad for the table support.

IMG_1776_2.jpg

Getting the 260 pound shaft balanced and aligned on the mill was interesting. Used a Starret height transfer gauge with the pins along the front edge of the table and a test indicator on the stem.

IMG_1777_2.jpg

A 1/2 inch key fitted.

IMG_1779_2.jpg

Greg

These are the pictures I want to use whenever someone asks "So, what can you do with a shaper?". Just cut a keyway with mine a week or so ago, although it was a lopsided in the other direction. I used a 24" shaper to put 1/8" keyway in a 1 1/16" hole in a 2" part that was 2 1/4" long. Great build by the way, looking forward to seeing it plying the rivers and lakes. Take care.

Remarkable work. Great to see it.
Robert

Damn impressive, reminds me of stories of cottage industries! Self reliance, with no shortage of skills. Keep it coming.
Paco

This is making me feel really old but its been about 40 years since I poured a babbitt bearing when I worked summers in the steel mill.
Kind of like riding a bicycle though.
The last time we used an oil based putty to dam the bearing, not having that available I tried high temp silicone, worked like a charm,
Made up a shield out of fire brick to keep the heat from the 200,000 but propane torch around the ladle.
The shot isn't staged, don't know why the flame doesn't show up.
Warmed the babbitt till a pine stick goes brown in it as I remembered, but also checked it with an heat gun, new technology, around 650 Fahrenheit.

Thanks for watching,
Greg
You are doing some amazing details with your talent! Question please, when you poured the babbitt into the bearing mounts/caps, did you tin them first? And if so, how did you tin them? Are the bearing mounts made out of cast iron? I’m not having the best luck in tinning cast iron. Thanks in advance, Dave.

Thanks Dave, Yes the caps are cast iron, I've never heard of tinning them. They are generally built with groves or holes in the casting to key the babbitt to stop rotation. The surfaces are also left rough from the mould to help bond the babbitt. Can see where tinning it would be tricky, what are you using for flux?

Greg

Haven't seen anyone make their own bearing before. Curious what keeps the babbit from sticking to the shaft and caps ???
Guessing the acetylene blackening of the shaft is for that, but what about the caps ???
Any suggested reading or sites about this process ???

Wonderful looking boat, can't wait for pic's/videos of it plying the waters.

This is an excellent build! Really nice old-school techniques on the build. Thanks for posting this!

Back