Building/modifying An Atlas Th42

Awesome - & Congratulations.

I acquired an Atlas 10F 10 x 36 but the TV (Vertical Countershaft) Model about a month ago and have been working thru getting it into operational shape.

Mine is a charity case - IE: I got for $50.00 and so far have spent close to $500. on misc parts and things to make it functional. Lots of worn &/or missing things on mine, and pretty much zero in the way of tooling, but so far I'm still thinking I'm ahead of the game.

Once I've got it operational I plan a complete tear down clean-strip-paint & rebuild over the spring/summer.

DSC06150-1.gif

DSC06150-1.gif

The atlas is in my possession!

:)

It's sitting in the bed of my truck right now as we are still moving in to our new house.

Turns out it's a TH42, which is nice because I was expecting a 36.

Its dirty and greasy, but underneath the mess it's rust free iron. The bed ways have no visible wear , except a few "dinks" right under the chuck. Nothing serious, just marks where someone has dropped something.

It all runs except the back gear selection, but I'm not so sure that is the lathe as much as me perhaps being on the wrong pulley groove.

All he change years are there and in perfect shape. There's a 3 jaw chuck with inside and outside claws. A 4 jaw chuck is on the lathe already.

Drive plate and all the dogs are there.

Left right and straight tool holders.

A box of hss cutters, a Center drill and the Center rest.

There's an assortment of gears that look worn and a short lead screw which makes me suspect the cross slide has been rebuilt.

Tail stock has a dead and live center.

No milling attachment or follow rest.

Basically, think it's got everything it would have come with when new.

It does have some wear. The lead screw is still good, but you can see where it has lived most of its life. The compound is tight and the tail stock doesn't move. A good cleaning and adjustment should fix both.

Pics to follow, but it's just of it sitting in the bed of my truck.

Pics!

39897110-D6C0-4CC8-B5B0-A124748958F2_zpsez0aes2m.jpg

F1B96197-000A-4D06-940A-8E496F21A486_zpswvcasnzk.jpg

F9A1A8D7-0E68-48E7-94DC-D13506CC22A3_zpsrfprd8j5.jpg

8C8A9FDE-1AFD-4FBE-A42F-13524F1FB978_zpsoaygv4zc.jpg

Did I get a screaming deal? Well, no. Not at 1000 bucks and no qcgb.

But it is complete, it is in good shape and then guy did hold it for a month for me (turned away 4 buyers he says) so all that is worth something.

I'm not over the moon with what I paid, but for what I got and where I got it I am satisfied I made off with a reasonable deal that I can live with.

Would I have liked to have spent 500 instead of a grand? Well, sure. Who wouldn't?

But I'm good with where I ended up.

Next step is to tear it down for inspection, replace parts if needed and a nice light resto.

Then build the bench/table and start making chips!

I've decided to hold off on things like qctp and such for the time being. I want to get used to grinding my own cutters and getting used to thelatbe as is. Then move into more purchases for itmwhen I'm ready.

Right now, I just want to get it functional, clean and start using it!

Last edited:
Oh and its quiet, surprised me how quiet it was.

I was expecting a whirling gnashing of gears noise with all the subtilty a mideavil call to arms after reading some comments on these old atlases, but it is nearly silent.

I'm guessing that means it is in good shape and things are bedded in nicely.

Ha! Congrats! You're going to have fun with this project... Your pic of the lathe in the truck reminded me of when I got mine, but in a PT Cruiser not a truck. :)

Enjoy the ride...

I don't think you did bad at all for that money and tooling, there are plenty of similar lathes around here for the same money and no tooling. Just having all the change gears is worth ~$150 going by eBay values

We're moving into the new house, but I've managed to sneak away a little bit and mess with some of the lathe bits while the missus runs the movers.

The tailstock quill wasn't moving even though the handwheel spun freely. I figured it was disengaged since it was out past 2.5, I pressed on the center and sure enough the screw grabbed and started pulling I the quill. It was caked with crud, so I wiped off as much as I could first.

After a couple runs it more moved freely.

In popped the live center out and was greeted by a non atlas part. It's a Skoda heavy duty live center part number 2-csn 243324. I looked it up on the net and it seems like a quality piece.

Nice little bonus methinks!

Last edited:
It's a Skoda heavy duty lice center part number 2-csn 243324. I looked it up on the net and it seems like a quality piece.

Yes got to love those lice centers, I have been itching to get one :)

Seriously I think you got a good deal overall. Tooling is expensive and you got a bunch.

David

Yes got to love those lice centers, I have been itching to get one :)

Seriously I think you got a good deal overall. Tooling is expensive and you got a bunch.

David
Lol, autospell on my android tablet strikes again!

Back