Building/modifying An Atlas Th42

OK (on the kill switch). I was just going by what was printed on the system wiring diagram. And I agree about not wanting a lanyard around my wrist while running the lathe.

No worries, I probably wasn't clear on the whole deadman/reed switch thing.

:)

So, I've got an old wood lathe that I'll probably be tearing apart. It's got a single phase 1/2 HP motor. that may find it's way onto the Atlas.

Sound better?

The wood dlathe is no great loos, it's built like the harbour freight sheet metal like thing:

image_10313.jpg
Except it's missing parts and it doesn't have the features even the cheap HF one has. Gerry's wood lathe is the name. I've never used it and it's no loss to scrap it.

Guess I'll have to find a VFD if I want to use that one with variable speed.

Will a VFD even work with a single phase motor? I'm not very familiar with those, mostly just what I have gleaned off this forum....

Last edited:
Well, I'm not going through the trouble of running a dedicated 3 phase into the garage.

I'll stick with moving belts and pulleys then...

You do not need 3 phase. You do not have it in the first place. A 240 volt VFD will convert 240 1 phase to 3 phase for the motor.

For motors up to 1 HP you can get VFDs that are 120, single phase in and and 240, 3 phase out.

Pulled the 1/2 HP motor from the wood lathe.

It's a huge beast!

Think I'm just going to say screw it, run the 1/8 HP and just be happy with it for what it is...

The garage is finally to the point where I can start looking at building benches, cabinets and the lathe stand.

Before:

0D4DB341-FECC-4E1C-B238-C6CF64EAA753_zpsp0xvrhmm.jpg

I had actually started moving stuff out at that point. The movers had it crammed wall to wall and nearly to the ceiling. They weren't exactly stellar movers....?

After:

16574170-2B72-4286-B5BC-E18F71A41213_zpsevkwjwtg.jpg

A34623FE-5140-4282-8A63-D8E04A6771D2_zpsiiptqyeo.jpg

The lathe will be where you see it now. A heavy metal "beam style" stand will hold and support it and a "cabinet" will be built around it on the wall. Plan is to have a simple exhaust hood in the cabinet as well as dedicated lighting. The rest of the wall will be built in benches and wall cabinets. The red tool boxes you see will be where my steel welding /fabrication table will go (thinking 1/4" plate top, steel frame, tool boxes cut down and integrated into table, built in hydraulic lift for wheels to move it around). The table saw unit you can see will be rebuilt (movers put pretty much the whole house on top of it a bent/racked it), the chop saw you can't see at the far end of the table saw will get its own spot in the bench and the air compressor you see waaaay at the front will alsomget its own sound dampened cabinet. All said and done, it will be one long same height bench surface from the front of the garage to where the lathe now sits. The hand railing you see will go, replaced by the wall of aforementioned "cabinet".

Opposite wall will get a full length row of high cabinets and probably some off the floor storage for things like shop vac and jack stands.

Once the fab is all done, epoxy on the floor, contact cement some laminate on the 3/4 plywood bench tops, pegboard over the aspenite, tape and mud the drywall and all finished off with fresh paint on the walls and cabinets.

Should be a nice place to spend some time and whittle some metal!

:)

Last edited:
Thanks to ulmadoctor, I have an atlas milling attachment on the way.

I think at this point I will stop buying things for the lathe and get down to using it. I still have to build the stand, but then I'll get some time in making chips.

Once I get a little experience under my belt I'll start looking at a DC motor to go with the cyclotrol controller and probably a qctp.

Quite a few months away for that though. Finances need to recover a bit......

Thanks to ulmadoctor, I've got an original Atlas milling attachment on the way.

I still have to build the stand, but I think that's it for buying stuff for a while. I'm pretty well tooled for the basic stuff I'll be doing. Might need a collet for the milling bits, but that's about it.

I'm pretty much going to get it setup and get some experience using it as is. That means the chucks, tooling, lantern tool post, etc as is.

I am REALLY going to try not buying anything else, at least until I get the lathe functional instead of just sitting on a bench.

After a couple months of spinning, I will start looking for a decent DC motor to go with the cyclotrol and maybe a qctp.

Or, I may try making my own qctp as a project.

Might be interesting.

;)

Back