Building my last shop

I want the expansion capability for larger machines like maybe a horizontal boring mill. The cnc plasma table and set up I am buying can pull 80 amps if cutting 1" plate. Add the air compressor running with it pulling up to 20 amps there goes 100 amps just running that machine.

I built a 40x60 commercial building a few years back. We had natural gas service so I put one of those radiant tube heaters up high and it worked great. Pretty economical too, don't know if it would be affordable on propane but it sure did a good job getting the whole space up to temp in a hurry.

1ohn

400A for the shop and I'm assuming 200A for the house (unless of course the house is already done...)
Let us know how much the utility is going to hit you up for.
House is already done. It was built in 1985.

Well good news. The power company rep just left. He said they would set 2 new poles, transformer, and above ground lines at no charge. :encourage:
If I wanted the lines buried it would cost me. Even got permission from the weird neighbor across the street to pull power access off of the pole on his property.

Suggestion: (If those are insulation 'bats' up in the ceiling)
I was in a welding shop a while ago and the owner was in the process of installing what I would call 'stingers' in order to keep the batting in place.
He was using 1/2" EMT and it was a bit of a hassle with all the stuff he had in the shop.
They were sagging and even coming loose all over the place.
That's East TN weather though - YMMV.

We are taping the insulation seams with Gorilla tape. You think I might need something more positive?

Depending on the insulation there should be a tape provided or recommended for the seams. When I built a few of these type buildings, one had a fiber re-enforced seam tape that matched the insulation perfectly and pretty much disappeared when applied. Other insulation had a silver cover and had a similar tape but it was super sticky and more like a foil. The tapes were part of the insulation package. Not sure of the "stick to it" life of Gorilla tape for a permanent install?

Yeah we got one roll. Used that up already so we got the Gorilla tape with reinforcing material in it. Hopefully it will hold up.

Back