Building my last shop

Heck me either. :D It has been a mud pit for most of the week. We have had more rain. Crew is out there working now. Hopefully pour concrete end of next week?

Last chance to put in that heated floor . . . I worked for IBM in Charlotte, NC back in 1982 and unless the climate has changed drastically, I don't think a heated floor would be your best option anyhow. I recall having to wipe the inside of my windshield every morning from May through November on my drive to work until the defroster heated up because of the condensation. Might be best to have forced air heat to keep the air moving. I've got a couple of ceiling fans in my shop that run 24/7 during the spring and fall when things start sweating in the job. Really does a nice job keeping the condensation off the cold cast iron.

You are going to love the space, hope the weather cooperates and you get some cement down. Great looking area for a shop!

Bruce

Double, heck triple check the vapor barrier under the floor. And then keep an eye out for any mishaps or tears during the pour.
Also I was wondering while watching your vids, would a french drain between the road and the building be out of the question?
I'm thinking of the run-off coming up against the front of the building.

My floor 'sweats' so bad in spring it drives me up the wall.
Too bad we can't send some of this rain out west or down-under. We're saturated here.
I can't imagine trying to pour a pad in these conditions.

Hey Dan. Plan on either French drains or a channel drain in front of the door. I will need something for the heavy rains.

Hey Dan. Plan on either French drains or a channel drain in front of the door. I will need something for the heavy rains.
I'd go deep depending on what your 'perc' is there.
I'm battling drainage that starts on the other side of the road and comes our way at over 2-3 down.
I have a feeling from the couple of holes I've dug that they built up the roadway over years past and despite there being a proper drainage ditch
on the other side of the road going away from us, the ground is getting saturated and then it hits the 'clay' layer and heads towards us.

We received an inch and a half of rain the beginning of the week. The site wasnt dry enough to do any work until Friday. The crew started on the back of the building. Supposed to be clear and cold all next week so hopefully we can make some progress.
GOPR4049.JPGGOPR4051.JPG

We made more progress. It was pretty cold last week and the mud was frozen so the crew pushed ahead. Today is Monday and we got an inch of rain over the weekend. supposed to rain on and off all week. We were hoping to get the pad formed up and pour concrete this week but that is not happening.
GOPR4057.JPGGOPR4058.JPGGOPR4059.JPG

We made more progress. It was pretty cold last week and the mud was frozen so the crew pushed ahead. Today is Monday and we got an inch of rain over the weekend. supposed to rain on and off all week. We were hoping to get the pad formed up and pour concrete this week but that is not happening.
I tried to block the rain from coming up your way, really I did. . .
We're soaked down here, I can imagine how it is up by you. Though down here it isn't freezing - yet.

Back