Building my own tripod head

... Gah, why did I decide to do this in different part studios? Let the inconsistency begin. The base and washer will be in their own studios, and then literally everything else will probably be in one.

EDIT: I am truly terrible at organizing projects like this. I might completely redo this from scratch once I've finished the first iteration.

Last edited:
Here's how far I got over the weekend:

screenshot.png

I really need to organize this better. I like being able to just create multiple parts in a single parts studio since it allows me to easily reference other parts. Like, the weirdo hole pattern in that L-shaped bracket doesn't need to be defined in parameters -- I just created a sketch with 4 points and then poked the holes in both parts. Unfortunately, I don't know how to take a previously created part and reuse it when I do things this way. That means that I have to just... completely redefine parts. As a software developer, that makes me incredibly sad. I don't know if OnShape has a better way to do this, but I'm going to read some documentation.

EDIT: Also, I need to fix that L bracket. It needs to flex with the panning pivot, so I'll need to mill out the center of it. Alternatively, I may end up attaching it out of the side. I want to avoid sort of welding, since I'm not properly set up for that. Everything will need to be connected with pins and screws.

Last edited:
If you want to duplicate an existing part, you can right-click on a part in the parts list (in the lower left corner of the screen) and select copy.

Well, life decided to get complicated. I had a pet die, then a very good family friend, then I got COVID, then my girlfriend had bite correction surgery (meaning a week of making smoothies and liquid food while her jaw was wired shut), then the holidays happened. I'm going to come back to this project, but I'm too worn out right now.

Thanks for checking in. Sorry to hear of all the problems. Losing a pet and a good friend, man that's tough, my condolences.

Back