Building small vertical CNC mill

r3292c

Registered
Registered
Hello,
In this thread I'm going to show details of my new project - vertical CNC mill.
I've just started this project, so nothing is final. There might be some changes on a fly. However there are some practical limitations that put certain constraints on the built:
1. It's a small mill I can built in my garage, having access just to combo-lathe/mill;
2. There's old 12"x18" cast-iron surface plate, that can be used as a rigid base;
3. It's a single-column vertical mill, my surface plate isn't big enough to put the second column to make a router.
4. All the basic components are generally available in on-line stores and on eBay.
5. The mill has to be solid enough to machine aluminum.
6. There's no oiling system integrated - not using dovetails, only rails and slides.
7. Something I'll figure out later.

IMG_20200607_151315253~2.jpg

I started my built from the table. I bought the cast-iron one in LMS, that's the biggest table (400 mm x 145 mm) from the cheapest you can buy.

image001.png

This one has dovetail that has to be removed to install the slides.
Here is Part 1 video on the table re-build

r3292c

Registered
Registered
My second step was attaching the mount for the vertical column to the surface plate. The mount is a heavy angle I found on eBay.
It took some time to flatten the surfaces of the angle by blueing and scrapping them. The cast-iron plate also needed some massaging.

IMG_20200621_113131881.jpg IMG_20200621_113211087.jpg

Now I'm working on X-Y plate. It's 16" by 10" size, maximum that fits into my machine, 3/4"-thick aluminum.

IMG_20200621_151332362.jpg

Dhal22

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I love plan #7. My type of guy. I'll follow this build.

r3292c

Registered
Registered
I've been marking, drilling and tapping about half a googillion holes in a piece of aluminum to make XY plate. That took a couple of days. Now it's done, and X-, Y-rails can be screwed together. There are some ideas on making this plate more solid to bending - will add some ribs later, after I get aluminum. Here is the second short video.

matthewsx

Looking forward to this build, your lathe project is pretty darn cool.

It looks like you're building a machine with a similar envelope to mine, what are you planning on for the spindle?

John

r3292c

Registered
Registered
Hi John,
I'm going to use a mini mill head driven by 400W servo.

mini_mill_head.png
I'm not going to use the gears, I'll put timing belt and pulleys instead. Similar to what I've done on the lathe, just a shorter head casting.

Looking forward to this build, your lathe project is pretty darn cool.

It looks like you're building a machine with a similar envelope to mine, what are you planning on for the spindle?

John

matthewsx

Looks good, with the servo you can get slower speeds and maybe even tapping?

I have a Teknomotor motor/spindle with an ER20 collet attached but it gets quite hot if it's running slower than ~5000 rpm, I may have to look into changing it eventually or adding forced air cooling.

John

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock