Building the Stevens Favorite

Thanks.

The thread is up to date and I won't be able to get back on it until fall since I'm currently working on a project that actually pays the bills. My plan is to make drawings available when the rifle is complete and functional.

Tom

What a great posting an display of craftsmanship.
I had a little Stevens sure shot that looked just like that I paid $3.00 for. I was only around 10 are 12 of then, had to make the firing pins out of an old Nail with the file. But that was 60 years ago.
PS you might want to engrave it before you have it case harden .
:tiphat:

Thanks, it's been a fun project.

I know there were a lot of variations of the Favorite, but I'm not familiar with the Sure Shot. Chances are it was a slightly later variant, maybe from the 20's.

I haven't decided what to do about the engraving yet but yes, it would be much easier to do before case hardening.

Tom

Thanks, it's been a fun project.

I know there were a lot of variations of the Favorite, but I'm not familiar with the Sure Shot. Chances are it was a slightly later variant, maybe from the 20's.

I haven't decided what to do about the engraving yet but yes, it would be much easier to do before case hardening.

Tom

After spending many hours restoring these little rifles, this is an incredible build. There were several variations of the Favorite with the Side Plate version being the most rare. Reading and following these post has really made me decide to try and purchase a Side Plate version from a friend of mine. His is missing the link, the pins and mainly the lever. The lever on this version is a lot different from the version you made here. After looking at the De Haas book, I can see how it is made. With the gun, I can actually get the measurements. Next will be the making of the lever. Even with the replacement lever, this will turn a $500.00 gun into a $1500.00-$2000.00 gun. If it was all original...with it being the Small Action version...Maybe $3000-$4000. Your post has given me the procedure to make the lever. THANKS.

You are very welcome.

Please share the results with us, I'd love to see how it turns out.

Tom

Any progress recently? If you have any drawings available I would gladly try them out to provide novice level feedback. I think I would have to practice by making a simple design like the dehass first.

The member that started this thread is no longer with us. Sorry for any inconvenience.

"Billy G"

"no longer with us " as in "gone to the big machine shop in the sky", or just not on the forum, but still making chips?

Just not on this forum, still making chips

Cheers Phil

Scott,

I've had a LOT of requests for drawings. What I'll likely do when the project is complete is write it all up with the pics along with a video or two, and offer that on disk with the drawings. Right now though the drawings are still in the prototype stage and have a way to go before they are suitable for someone else to build from.

Tom

Tom,
There is actually quite a bit of info available in your pictures. I was able to use your pictures to create a 3D model in Autocad. A couple minor details required a bit of thinking but all the details were there. Don't know if you intended to do that..

Pete

Back