Bull Cockey HF new cherry picker..

@Franko did a mod on the HF engine hoist a few years backhttps://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/frankos-hf-engine-hoist-mod.39516/.

Some of you guy's have already seen my 80's Taiwan hoist made by "Allied" I just re-engineered a few months back, I put Larger casters and widened the stance. For straddling machines encountered in the "Hobby Shop"

Here is what it looked like before I re-did it, This pic is from google:

1685906445879.png
I will have to add, The 8 Ton Long Ram I just bought, Is about 2/3rds the ram that came with this hoist. What a shame, Everything these days is smaller, Lighter and cheaper to make. The old one still works, But it leaks pretty bad.

Attachments

• DSCN4388.JPG
    DSCN4388.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN4384.JPG
    DSCN4384.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN4395.JPG
    DSCN4395.JPG
    849.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN4386.JPG
    DSCN4386.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN4385.JPG
    DSCN4385.JPG
    607.2 KB · Views: 29
Some of you guy's have already seen my 80's Taiwan hoist made by "Allied" I just re-engineered a few months back, I put Larger casters and widened the stance. For straddling machines encountered in the "Hobby Shop"

Here is what it looked like before I re-did it, This pic is from google:

View attachment 450059
I will have to add, The 8 Ton Long Ram I just bought, Is about 2/3rds the ram that came with this hoist. What a shame, Everything these days is smaller, Lighter and cheaper to make. The old one still works, But it leaks pretty bad.
you can always replace the orings and seals.

I get p i s s e d off reading these new products and then seeing the reviews, and then I see a stuipid photo, that shows the old unit being touted as the new unit, and the photo has the tires still attached. If I am lifting a motor out, I don't have the tires still attached. I remove them to remove the weight and annoyance of having them in the way. Next, it's the old lift... look at the pics carefully. and Only $369 for the 2t unit.. Of course only 2 years ago, the old unit was $129 to $159 depending. Now its $269. and no longer available.. and this is HOW MUCH BETTER?

edit: oh did I mention the photo, the crack (VOID) that this supposedly rolled over.
I don't get what people's complaint about HF is.
They go there to buy the cheapest blankety blank tool they can buy and then complain that it doesn't perform as well as a tool that costs 3 times as much.
You hear them say, "Well I'm only going to use it a time or two and can't justify spending a whole lot on it."
But they still expect it to perform as well that time or two as the real deal.
Folks, If you want a gormet meal don't go to McDonalds expecting to get one.
If you want a heavy duty tow vehicle don't buy a Pinto.
If you want a good bench vise, don't get one made of cast iron. Good vises are made of cast steel and cost more.
If you want a sparkly diamond for her finger buy a good one and not one that is cheap or yellow and full of impurities.
If you want a good steak buy a good one so you don't have to gnaw on it like a dog.
If price is the ONLY consideration you care about when you buy stuff then quit yer *****ing when you end up with a piece of junk.

A lot of guys buy the 1 ton cherry picker and of course it's not going to hold up or do the job of lifting 2000 pounds very well, The 2 ton one's are over-rated in my opinion, Swinging 2000 pounds off of a 2 ton is scary enough, I don't plan on ever lifting more than 2000# with my 2 ton hoist.

Remember, HF does not rate by safe working capacity. Their tonnage ratings on all equipment are the ultimate failure point. In other words, the 2000 lb hoist will lift 2000 lbs, once. The 250 lb bar stool will support 250 lbs, once. The 1200 lb utility trailer will take 1200 lbs, once.

It's like metric, take their rating and divide by 2.54, and you get a rating you can use.

Remember, HF does not rate by safe working capacity. Their tonnage ratings on all equipment are the ultimate failure point. In other words, the 2000 lb hoist will lift 2000 lbs, once. The 250 lb bar stool will support 250 lbs, once. The 1200 lb utility trailer will take 1200 lbs, once.

It's like metric, take their rating and divide by 2.54, and you get a rating you can use.
are you certain of that?

are you certain of that?

Me? Yes, my credentials are in the photo below. 2500 lbs capacity according to HF is about 2500/2.54=787 lbs actual working load, which, coincidentally, is this hoist's natural tip point. 2.54 is easy to remember, we use it all the time to obtain numbers we can use from foreign systems.

IMAG0755.jpg

I have had both of these experiences with HF engine hoists and HF engine stands. They were made for 4-bangers. Even with a 4-cyl the stands still are tippy and the hoist can't be used at full reach. Folding my hoist at full ram extension was a separate event that I earned credit for, but having to weight the back of the hoist in a panic while pulling a 1.3l without the trans is silly.

There must be some simple fix to make these seemingly rudimentary tools functional. As purchased, it's as if these are designed to fail. They probably engineered them to fail 99% of the time, but the factory botched it 'cause it's Harbor Freight, so they only fail 40% of the time, missing their intended goal. Since it doesn't do what it's supposed to, it meets the HF gold standard, and they continue to be sales leading items.

View attachment 446552View attachment 446550
The wheel definitely went in the hole in the floor in that second pic

Back