Bull Nose Live Center

Ray C

Registered
Registered
I've been meaning to make this live center for a while now. The bull-nose is a special size and length that would make a particular task a little easier. Here's an outline image. This is a background shop project that's going to take a while. The nose is 4140 that I plan to bring up to the RC 55 range. The rest will just be 1045 raised to a low/moderate hardness. And before the spiders come dashing out of their webs, I'm well aware of the torque issue in the design. This is special-purpose and does not need to support heavy loads at all.

There's a 3D .pdf enclosed n this post too but I'm not sure if it's attached properly...

OleBully.JPG

Ray

Attachments

• BullNoseLiveCenterAssembly.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 62
Great job Joe. That's very nice!

Thanks for showing your design. I'll probably stay on course with my current plans though, because this will consist entirely of shop drops and available parts. The main ingredient is a very small taper bearing with an ID of 0.6875" and OD of 1.5700". Been saving that bearing for this purpose for about 2, maybe 3 years now. There's also a little radial bearing at the back and somewhere along the line, I acquired about 20 brand new of the little devils.

Anyhow, here's a few pictures of getting the raw stock trued up. Normally, I sandblast mill scale first but, I didn't want to wake-up the neighbors with the air compressor (it's outside in a shed in the backyard about 20 feet from the neighbor's house). I really don't like busting-up my inserts on mill scale.

Along the way... I suspected the tailstock was out a little so, several light passes at .030 (.060 dia reduction) were taken to adjust the tailstock. -And of course, I had to chase that chicken around the coop for much longer than I wanted. The good news... it's about dead on now.

IMG_20171224_083808.jpg

These are fairly fast passes digging in 30 thou with 12 thou IPR. There's my favorite insert for this machine. Makes nice chips and is a perfect size for 2-3 HP lathes. I wish I could find some 1/2" holders that take these inserts but in all honesty, I can't find a reason to complain about the 3/8 holders.

IMG_20171224_101854.jpg

This piece was flipped around to catch the other side and you can barely see the cutting junction.

IMG_20171224_083303.jpg

More eye-candy later...

Merry Christmas

Ray C.

Last edited:
Opened the PDF, works fine! nice idea, might have to try that idea.

Opened the PDF, works fine! nice idea, might have to try that idea.

Thanks for letting me know. I remember many years ago, I had troubles posting 3D PDF files. With that PDF, you should be able to click and rotate the part in all directions. Some websites block PDF with active content.

FYI: The second "silhouette" (looking from left to right) in the holder part, holds the taper bearing cup. Way at the back, a small radial bearing stabilizes the shaft. I can't find those bearings in the library, don't feel like modeling them, so they're not shown... :rolleyes:

Ray C.

Was wondering where the bearings were, and on that note where are you located

Was wondering where the bearings were, and on that note where are you located

Does the location information not show below my avatar? If not, let me know but otherwise, the location information is correct.

Ray C.

I’m not seeing a location below your avatar , don’t worry if your my neighbor I won’t bug you. :big grin:

Back