Bummed Out Newb On My First Mill Purchase Gone Bad

rdrasher,

Did you ever get the situation sorted? I looked at the same mill and tried to contact, after numerous failed attempts, i gave up. Hopefully you got your money back or the mill!

V/r,

Chayse
I drove to Daytona to get my money and guess what happened, NOTHING! He was a "no show" again! He texted me before we were to meet and said he wouldn't be able to meet on time. Then said he would wire my money to me. After a couple hours, he sent me a text saying he could only send $200 and then would send $300 tomorrow and then $200 on Monday. What's another couple of days after almost a month now.

The mill will need some work and it's missing several pieces:

quill feed handle(missing)
manual feed wheel(missing)
manual feed splined shaft that the wheel attaches to didn't look like it was spinning properly, looked bent as it went around and around
pulley belt is starting to shred/fray
rear spindle is chipped and missing a large chunk of metal on largest pulley
x axis wheel is not easily spun(table doesn't move smoothly)
didn't see anywhere on the machine that says it's Bridgeport
some of the numbered degree plates have been sanded off
power switch arcs electricity out of open cover when it's turned on
a wire connected the motor has not been properly shielded

I understand these might be "no big deal" to most but I felt I should mention it to you since you mentioned that you were trying to check out the mill.

Chayse, Good luck with this guy, he's sketchy with a recent record in Flagler county

Thanks for the heads up...after a couple attempts, I gave up on it. I ended up finding a mill over in Lakeland that will suit my needs. I hope you get things sorted!!

I drove to Daytona to get my money and guess what happened, NOTHING! He was a "no show" again! He texted me before we were to meet and said he wouldn't be able to meet on time. Then said he would wire my money to me. After a couple hours, he sent me a text saying he could only send $200 and then would send $300 tomorrow and then $200 on Monday. What's another couple of days after almost a month now.

The mill will need some work and it's missing several pieces:

quill feed handle(missing)
manual feed wheel(missing)
manual feed splined shaft that the wheel attaches to didn't look like it was spinning properly, looked bent as it went around and around
pulley belt is starting to shred/fray
rear spindle is chipped and missing a large chunk of metal on largest pulley
x axis wheel is not easily spun(table doesn't move smoothly)
didn't see anywhere on the machine that says it's Bridgeport
some of the numbered degree plates have been sanded off
power switch arcs electricity out of open cover when it's turned on
a wire connected the motor has not been properly shielded

I understand these might be "no big deal" to most but I felt I should mention it to you since you mentioned that you were trying to check out the mill.

Chayse, Good luck with this guy, he's sketchy with a recent record in Flagler county
Unfortunately for us we had a similar dealing with a gentleman. You're likely involved in a case of fraud, but you will be hard pressed to convince your local prosecutor to pursue the case (from our experience).

The detective in our case educated me a bit on the process; there is criminal court and civil court. Criminal involves the prosecutor, civil does not. I was told that from the evidence that we presented, there was no doubt it was a case of criminal fraud. However, to prove criminal fraud in court you need to prove prior intent to defraud. That means having a co-conspirator "ratting out" the other conspirator. The prosecutor would not "waste his time" presenting the case in court and risk having a "bleeding heart" judge or jury rule in favor of the defendant. In other words, they would only prosecute if the case was a slam-dunk conviction.

We pursued our matter in civil court and received a judgement in our favor. However, that doesn't get you your money back. It's basically mom in the front seat of the car settling the argument between the kids in the back seat as to whose comic book it is. Telling little Johnnie to give Suzy her comic book back doesn't mean he will do it. No prosecutor there, just attorneys for both sides. Small claims court (which was our case) does not involve attorneys. In our area it costs around $3000 for an attorney for civil court. We have two judges in our county and neither one typically awards court costs to the complainant. So you're on your own to cover the legal fees. Our max limit for small claims civil court is something like $3500.

You unfortunately will have to be persistent to get your money back even if you receive a judgement. I attached a brochure on the process in our county. It might be a similar process in yours.

In our case we got most of our money back, enough so that we gave up pursuing the balance. Plus the gentleman moved out of state which is a new can of worms. I followed him to find his place of work (which he wouldn't disclose even those he was required by the judgement in our favor) and filed papers for garnishment of wages. I probably went over the line a bit, but made up flyers with the details of our dealings with this gentleman and went door to door in his neighborhood handing them out. All I stated were the facts, didn't call him names like a thief or anything, just stated the facts. I figured a con artist relies of the public not knowing his background otherwise he won't find more victims. Our attorney rolled his eyes at my tactics, but in my case said I was not defaming his character. It made a difference in our case, he started returning our calls about paying us back - maybe something about shame being a great motivator.

Good luck, sure hope you get your money back as the legal process is a royal PITA!

Bruce

Attachments

• brochure-RestitutionCollection.pdf
    140.1 KB · Views: 4
If a Civil Court rules in your favor I believe you may be able to put a lein for the original amount and costs accrued for your trouble on properties owned by the defaulter. Laws may vary where you are.

Find out where this guy lives and camp outside his house till he pays up. Or enlist the help of a few heavy bikers in the area....

Personally, I would do all three things:

1) post an update concerning his continuing fraudulent and evasive activities on Facebook to expose this guy and kill his business;

2) take the cops to his business with the court order and pick up the mill;

3) if he dodges you, serve him with small claims papers anyway -even if he gives you a partial refund- while you are at his house/shop.

Even if he evades paying the court claim, you can still continue to serve him with demand notices, and go back to the Judge to complain about him NOT satisfying the judgement. Remember, Small claims an't over til it's over.

Judges may be flakes, but they get real nasty when people don't do what they are ordered to do, after the trial is finished.

Good luck on this. Don't give up!

Glenn

I would keep messing with him on CL and whatever else hes trying to sell stuff on. Whats he gonna do about it?

So what happened here? I've been curious.
Not much......

Surprisingly he did Moneygram me a refund a week or two ago, unfortunately he only send $200 (citing an ATM max withdrawal per day) of what I thought would be the full $700.
I went to the police dept. but they won't do anything. According to them I entered a verbal agreement when I handed over my money for the mill. They say it's now a civil matter and it would probably cost me as much to take him to court as what I'm owed, plus it could take up to a year to sue him. I feel like the "system" protects the perpetrator and leaves the victim hung out to dry.

As of last week I was told by this thief that he sent me a money order for the remaining $500 he owes and promised to give me a tracking number, but as you can guess....... no money order or tracking number has shown up, but I've received PLENTY of excuses. :rolleyes:

Back