• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Burke #0 Rescued

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ogberi

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
494
Likes
409
#1
Hi All,

While visiting a friend in Michigan I ran across this sitting out in the elements -
20160706_203900.jpg
20160706_203920.jpg

A little Burke #0 that needs some attention. The price was right (free!), so I loaded it into the truck and it came home with me.

Now, Burke purists may want to wander elsewhere. When I saw this machine, I thought, 'Hey, that'd make a dandy starting point for a Tool and Cutter grinder. '

I'm in the process of cleaning it up enough that I can re-assemble it and check how clapped out it is. If it isn't too bad, I'll tear it back down and strip-prime-paint everything that needs it. The phosphor bronze spindle bearings will get pressed out, and I'll machine sleeves to allow me to fix Timken tapered roller bearings to a new spindle. The spindle I'll most likely make with a 3/4x16 nose, the same as a Taig spindle. Primarily because I have a lot of Taig tooling already.

More pics to come as the project progresses, but it won't be a quick project.

Thanks!
 

ogberi

Active User
Active Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
494
Likes
409
#2
Yesterday evening I got the spindle and knee elevation gear+shaft out of the machine. Had to gently hammer out the shaft for the knee gear using a 1 lb ball peen and brass drift. She was stuck in there good, even with penetrating oil. No damage though, just dried oil. Now that it's all apart, I went ahead and slathered Citrus Strip all over everything. By the time I had finished the last piece, the paint on the first pieces was turning to goop. Let it sit overnight, and this evening I'll go at it with a putty knife to see how much paint comes off. I figured since it was already apart, I'd go ahead and strip the paint. Even if it's too badly worn to use as a T&C grinder, my GF has already expressed that it'd make an awesome lamp. :confused: Not sure if that's good or bad...

If it's too clapped out, at least it is small enough that I can use the Atlas horizontal mill to re-machine the sliding parts flat, then hand scrape it to fit. That'll be a new experience, and at least I won't be risking a machine I depend on. I have $0 tied up in this machine so far, and if I manage to thoroughly botch the job, at least it'll make a nice lamp. :laughing:
 
[6]
[5] [7]