Burke #4 recommendations for dividing head?

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
Looking to buy a dividing head for my Burke #4 and would appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Harry

I think Mark had a #4 and that’s why he built this dividing head. If my memory serves me correctly, the #4 has a smallish table and that limits the mounting of the head. In any case, Check out this Thread.
Mark did awesome work and his write ups were as good as it gets. I was planning on building this... but time constraints and life’s curve balls made me realize that I had to cut back on my to-do lists and projects. So I purchased a B&S model 0 off of eBay.
It’s a real clean item if you can use it on your mill and it’s pretty cheap too at 200.00

Last edited:
I have a Burke #4 also. Recently mounted a Grizzly B&S 0 replica on the table. Seems to fit pretty well. The Grizzly DH seems like a well made machine. Plus it comes with ALL the additional plates and parts you will absolutely need to use a DH. Haven’t yet seen an original DH on eBay that had all the needed attachments, (plates and tailstock etc). Without the parts, and a vise, a DH is practically useless.

Tim9 and Glenn,

Thanks for the info. My main reason for a dividing head is to make replacement gears for my Logan 820 lathe gear box. So have you tried making a gear with the offshore B&S 0 and if so then how did it perform?

Thanks,
Harry

No Harry, I have not used it yet. But I’ve made a few gears and repaired a couple of bull gear assembly’s for the back gears on South Bend 9’s
I used a home made divider which is driven by an Arduino. It works pretty good and gets the job done. FD2B8692-07D3-4D83-AD5E-FC991252221D.jpeg0FB9D250-5CF0-4FB3-9357-547E2E1173F1.jpeg

No Harry, I have not used it yet. But I’ve made a few gears and repaired a couple of bull gear assembly’s for the back gears on South Bend 9’s
I used a home made divider which is driven by an Arduino. It works pretty good and gets the job done. View attachment 314590View attachment 314591
Tim,

Thanks for the info on you devise and if my memory serves me correctly there was a CL homemade dividing based off an PhaseII indexer that used a driven similar to yours.

Harry

Last edited:
Harry. This dividing head has been extensively written up by manny others. I absolutely copied and pasted the Arduino code. I’m pretty sure it was originally documented in Home Hobby Machinists magazine. I think the name of the guy was Liming

I’ll try to find the original article. It was also then copied by a Britt YouTuber.

Last edited:
Here it is. I had to do a bit of looking this up because I made this about 3 years ago.
MyFordBoy on You Tube does an excellent write up and his videos have most of the applicable links.

I think his name was Gary Liming
His website is called Snailworks
Liming.org
Snailworks

Here it is. I had to do a bit of looking this up because I made this about 3 years ago.
MyFordBoy on You Tube does an excellent write up and his videos have most of the applicable links.

I think his name was Gary Liming
His website is called Snailworks
Liming.org
Snailworks

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info and I have booked marked this for future reference as the world of stepper motors for indexing sounds very enticing. I'm currently finishing up my wood shed to shop conversion and the next step is getting my two Logan lathers (200 and 820) up and running along with my Burke #4 mill. The gear box on the 820 is shot and I will be making all new gears for it along with shafts, etc.

Back