Burke #4 ?

rafe

Active User
Registered
I am going to look at a Burke mill this week, i called the guy last year but never went to look and it's come up again ...I'm not sure if that is the model. It looks like it might have a vert, head with it. a vise too the table has one T slot and is only 14 or so inches long 4 wide it does have 3 collets with it 1/2" and two smaller ones 110 motor
came off a US ship and the cast iron base is not there it is mounted on a heavy steel base.he said it has a power feed and runs good ...it's been in his family 40 years and has seen no use in the last 15 maybe more but it's supposed to be oily and in OK shape ...He wants 650 but I think that's too high ...I'll look Sat and post some photos ....
see what else might sweeten the deal ...any help would be appreciated ................ Overall from the photos on my phone (he sent) it looks like Gregs a good bit other than the base has the two front wheels and motor offset on the left ....Advise me as to what to look for Thanks and Regards

I was just given one of those by a friend, it's No.4 Model B Hand mill, I've had it for two weeks it's all apart in my shop I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to make out of it, my buddy bought it about 15 years ago or so to make a small surface grinder, but he's since bought one, this one has no lead screw on the x axis it's a rack and pinion.

AIR_20140511_00000.jpg

AIR_20140511_00000.jpg

It's kinda hard to advise what to look for on one of these as they are pretty basic but solid little machines. I do enjoy using mine. The usual wear items like back lash in the handles and screws, table slop, bearings in the spindle etc. The spindles in these are timken bearings and an easy fix if they are worn. If you look at my pictures you will see that mine has the original gear reduction motor, not many survive today. Most folks just upgrade to modern motors as replacements. A three phase with a vfd would be awesome. Mine has the vertical milling attachment, it takes 3c collets, max collet size is 1/2" There was a variation of the mill with a swivel table from the factory. I paid $750 for mine but it was pretty complete with the original gear reduction motor, vert attachment, the drive for the table in a box, cast iron pedestal, and some really cool quick change arbors for the horizontal operation, and had been gone through pretty good by the p.o.

The one i am going to look at has power feed on the X It's a shaft with universal joints ....Is what he told me ...I probably won't get it if it doesn't have the verticle head ...from the picture which was very hard to see it looks like it does have that....the rest will be the shape it's in and whats included ......I like the one you received .....looks good

Funny thing is I never hooked up the table feed, I just turn the handles, seems more fun I guess. I have thought about modifying a electric table feed, but I don't really need it for what I use it for. I guess if my needs ever changed I could always do it then. It seems like the original table feeds are hard to come by so I just hang on to mine.

One thing I can say about the little one I picked up is that it's amazingly ridged machine for it's size, when you go to look at the one your thinking of buying take a friend (a strong one) because you'll not believe how heavy it is, I through my shop crane on the trailer just before I left and I was sure glad I did.

Well look at It I did, I told him I was going to take it ....He powered it up sounded good has a two speed transmission in the motor....power feed works ....Verticle head with 3 3c collets 1/2 3/8 1/4 some cutters some clamps a flycutterand and a vise the base isn't the cast one it looks like someone made it out of a 20" iron pipe ....looks pretty damned good too
It could use a real good clean-up but I really like it......I really must stop getting these machines ....on secon thought .....nah I'll post some pictures when I get it home ...Oh, it was manufactured in Cinncinati Oh....Mil spec...not to much other info on it most likely fixed a lot of Garands

A #4 Burke was my first REAL milling machine. It was sturdy enough to actually mill steel with a slab cutter. I rigged up a simple power feed with a Bodine gear motor and a hefty worm and spur gear set. I paid $250.00 at the time,but that was in the 70's. The table had a convex bow from many years of tightening down nuts in the single T slot,so I had all the working surfaces re milled straight. I had a Master gear head motor,and rigged up a good,if not pretty,pulley system capable of very slow speeds and higher ones. It was a very useful little machine.

$650.00 might seem high,but what Chinese machine will match it's good,sturdy usefulness?

Absolutely agree, They seem to be well respected mills and I'm sure it will do for my needs, I really am excited to clean it up and give it a go......I have done a little research online and I think this is a 4 speed motor

Last edited:
Back