[4]

Burke Machine Tool No. 4 Mill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

paoldschool

Registered
So I went to look at an Ammco 7" metal shaper... Then I stumbled onto this, I mean I backed up and it was right behind me on the floor under a pile of stuff!!!
burkemill4.jpg

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
The fickle finger of fate strikes again. Nice, and welcome to the forum. Mike

paoldschool

Registered
This is how I found it The guy I got it from bought it at auction about 30 years ago from the company he worked for when they went out of business. It was in there maintenance department. I really don't know how long it has been sitting in his basement, but I plugged it in and it runs!!! It needs a lot of clean up and TLC, but I think it will make a great little mill!
millpile.jpg

paoldschool

Registered
So I really didn't get too far today. Mostly just got machines moved around in the shop, and got the little mill off the floor. I had a wooden stand that came with my vertical mill, so I drilled a hole for the knee screw and set it on that! At least it is off the floor and easier to work on. I would love some detailed pictures of what the original stand looked like, I might try to reproduce it with sheet metal and a steel frame...
burkestand.jpg

genec

Active User
Registered
could you get some side views of the pulley system

ericc

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Does yours have the original gear motor? It's hard to see. I just picked one up which looks almost like this on the weekend.

paoldschool

Registered
Yes it is the original motor. 1/2 hp 1725 RPM, then the output is like 280 RPM. It runs nice and quiet.

paoldschool

Registered
As far as the pulley set up goes, I have a couple of pictures that I took earlier today, and I will try to get some better ones tomorrow.
burkemotorside.jpg
I hope this helps!!!
This is the motor side of the machine. The motor feeds the set of step pulleys in the center of the casting on the spindle, then there is another set of four pulleys on the back end of the spindle that powers the feed box.
burkefeedside.jpg

paoldschool

Registered
I also have the belt cover for the motor side of the machine, and the cast iron cover that covers the pulleys on the spindle. The original switch was attached to that cover on the right side of the machine, but mine was moved at some point to the base. I will put it back to the original position after I get everything sorted out.

paoldschool

Registered
So, been busy in the shop with some paying work... I did get back to poking around the little mill. Here is some more pictures of the beast!
burkemotor.jpg
The gear reduction motor.
rightsideburke.jpg
The right hand side of the machine, with the spindle drive pulley in the middle and the feed pulley on the back. The arm and second pulley for the feed are removed, the shaft and bushing for the feed are really worn, so I will be making a new shaft and bushing for in the arm. I also cleaned up the table and cleaned out the oil holes. I did make one really bad discovery, the main screw for the x axis is bent on the left hand end right at the graduated dial. I guess I will have to try to fix that, just not sure if it will be fix or replace. The screw and nut are in really good condition, other than it has a bend two inches from the end. I don't think this machine has had a lot of use, there is still flaking visible on the ways, and the gib has almost no wear. The saddle and the knee are nice and tight so they just need a clean up. That is it for today, I hope to get some more time to tinker this week.

[6]
[5] [7]