Burke Machine Tool No. 4 Mill

The fickle finger of fate strikes again. Nice, and welcome to the forum. Mike

This is how I found it The guy I got it from bought it at auction about 30 years ago from the company he worked for when they went out of business. It was in there maintenance department. I really don't know how long it has been sitting in his basement, but I plugged it in and it runs!!! It needs a lot of clean up and TLC, but I think it will make a great little mill!
millpile.jpg

So I really didn't get too far today. Mostly just got machines moved around in the shop, and got the little mill off the floor. I had a wooden stand that came with my vertical mill, so I drilled a hole for the knee screw and set it on that! At least it is off the floor and easier to work on. I would love some detailed pictures of what the original stand looked like, I might try to reproduce it with sheet metal and a steel frame...
burkestand.jpg

could you get some side views of the pulley system

Does yours have the original gear motor? It's hard to see. I just picked one up which looks almost like this on the weekend.

Yes it is the original motor. 1/2 hp 1725 RPM, then the output is like 280 RPM. It runs nice and quiet.

As far as the pulley set up goes, I have a couple of pictures that I took earlier today, and I will try to get some better ones tomorrow.
burkemotorside.jpg
I hope this helps!!!
This is the motor side of the machine. The motor feeds the set of step pulleys in the center of the casting on the spindle, then there is another set of four pulleys on the back end of the spindle that powers the feed box.
burkefeedside.jpg

Back