Burke Machine Tool No. 4 Mill

I also have the belt cover for the motor side of the machine, and the cast iron cover that covers the pulleys on the spindle. The original switch was attached to that cover on the right side of the machine, but mine was moved at some point to the base. I will put it back to the original position after I get everything sorted out.

So, been busy in the shop with some paying work... I did get back to poking around the little mill. Here is some more pictures of the beast!
burkemotor.jpg
The gear reduction motor.
rightsideburke.jpg
The right hand side of the machine, with the spindle drive pulley in the middle and the feed pulley on the back. The arm and second pulley for the feed are removed, the shaft and bushing for the feed are really worn, so I will be making a new shaft and bushing for in the arm. I also cleaned up the table and cleaned out the oil holes. I did make one really bad discovery, the main screw for the x axis is bent on the left hand end right at the graduated dial. I guess I will have to try to fix that, just not sure if it will be fix or replace. The screw and nut are in really good condition, other than it has a bend two inches from the end. I don't think this machine has had a lot of use, there is still flaking visible on the ways, and the gib has almost no wear. The saddle and the knee are nice and tight so they just need a clean up. That is it for today, I hope to get some more time to tinker this week.

Ok so more work on the little mill today. I got the spindle apart and all cleaned, the Timken bearings are in great shape, as well as the rest of the spindle components. One of the plastic spacers behind the front bearing was broken, so I made a new one out of some similar plastic to the original.
burkebearings.jpg
Next step is to tear into the gear reduction motor and get it cleaned up, and replace the old cracked up wiring on the machine. I know the motor runs, but everything is full of saw dust. There was a wood shop in the basement where this was stored for a lot of years.
I also made another discovery on the top of the dovetail for the knee. It is hand stamped 10-449-44 right into the casting. The table also had 449 stamped on the bottom of it. I am thinking this is a serial number??? I'm not sure, if anyone has any insight please let me know.
It shouldn't be too much longer and the little Burke will be making chips again!

The spindle pulley looks like it has been changed or reversed- The large sheave should go towards the table- unless the factory did that on purpose?
Hard to say

Come on I have to ask , how much ? I kind of gave up my quest for a Benchmaster , too expensive . One came up the other day near me for $950 . and it was gone in one day , I saw one posted here for $1500. and it was sold . Maybe I could afford a Burke ? Anyhow here is the stand .
1540408793050.png

So now it is all back up and running. I have rewired everything with modern wire, disassembled everything and cleaned it all, made a few small repairs, even flushed the nasty old lube from the gear reduction motor. It now runs great!!! I have even made a few chips with it. So now I have to decide what to do with it... I already have a much larger horizontal mill, so really don't need it... So maybe a coat of paint and who knows...

Back