Burke Mill Rite on eBay, opinions?

Well I got the machine this morning,It came in early without warning (a full week early). Lucky for me that someone was at the Rigging Company's shop to unload it. I text'd Jim at CT mills about what happened but no reply. No harm no foul, it got here safe and sound.
Overall its in good shape, the table is a little rough in the T-slot area. Looks like the wrong size hold downs were used repeatedly because there are a lot of chips out of the bottom edges of the slots. I will stone them up and it shouldn't affect the way I'm going to use the machine. The Ways are real nice with much of the scraping marks visible, on all axis's, spindle measured .0005" run out and is very smooth feeling. Quill OD looks good and action is smooth. I put a collet in and noticed an absence of a key for the collet? maybe these didn't have one or its sheared off, I will have to look into that. I will need to replace the draw-bar as the bottom 3/8' of the threads are rolled over and the next area are not far behind. I have yet to put power to it, that's not my strong suite so will have to read up on hooking it up to a VFD I borrowed to test it.
Overall I'm real happy with it, now to get it running and start the fun task of making it mine.
Here's a few pictures.
061 (600x800).jpg066 (600x800).jpg071 (600x800).jpg083 (600x800).jpg090 (480x640).jpg091 (800x600).jpg092 (800x600).jpg

061 (600x800).jpg 066 (600x800).jpg 071 (600x800).jpg 083 (600x800).jpg 090 (480x640).jpg 091 (800x600).jpg 092 (800x600).jpg

My Burk has a pin for the collets. If yours is sheared, and your not dead set on having one, it will work just as good without one. Good lookin machine bro!

Jake Parker

Nice, Looks like you did very well on that one . Good Luck Regards

I got around to hooking up a borrowed VFD to this machine the other night, Really sounds good, spindle is smooth with no noises so that's good!! a real relief.
This machine came in at 1360 pounds with a drilling vise on the table. Shipping came in at $520 to my riggers and he only charged me $200 to bring it over, that was a real favor.
I ended up purchasing a set of Igauging DRO's I'm going to put them on the X, Y, Z and knee. The Z axis will be a little bit of a challenge because the quill retracts flush with the housing, I'm going to try and make a small sleeve to fasten to the Z scale pointer.
037.JPG
Thanks, Mark

037.JPG

You got a good deal.
I think DC Morrison has tables, possibly NOS.

Back