Burke MVI Mill Brake Assy

DJ_99Wing

Registered
Registered
Hello,

My Burke MVI Millrite mill is missing the entire Brake Assembly the rubs on the pulley. Are there any detailed drawing, detailed photos or information on the part, that I can use to create a replacement part. Any help would be appreciated.

Also what materials should I use to create the Brake Assy?

Thank you, DJ

Last edited:
I don’t have drawings of it, but I took some pictures of the one on my machine. The brake looks like a T with the wide part on the inside of the pulley with what looks like a slot with some sort of braking material in it. The brake pivots on the pin that is used for the pulley cover as well. I would think mild steel would be a good choice of material to make it, as for the brake material, I have no idea. I’m sure McMaster-Carr has something that will work.

The inside of my pulley has a groove worn in it, so the previous owner probably used it heavily. I very rarely use it, coast to stop is fine for me. When I need to change a collet, I use the spindle lock pin to secure the pulley.

To answer your question about the table X axis handle, the through hole is 5/8” and the key width is 3/16”. I haven’t found any places that have a premachined handle, usually they have a pilot bore so that you can machine to your specifications. You might try DC Morrison and see if they have what you need, they sell Burke Millrite parts.

Attachments

• 6FB3C772-1FD5-4723-9B3F-911C8FF011B3.jpeg
    6FB3C772-1FD5-4723-9B3F-911C8FF011B3.jpeg
    945.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 15AC2B33-809A-44E4-B451-10A98A2CEBB0.jpeg
    15AC2B33-809A-44E4-B451-10A98A2CEBB0.jpeg
    949 KB · Views: 7
  • D7A142A4-9EDC-4163-8673-8CA9EBD0C25D.jpeg
    D7A142A4-9EDC-4163-8673-8CA9EBD0C25D.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 8
FWIW, the brake assembly is pretty worthless. I'm not sure I've used it more than a handful of times in owning the mill, it does a pretty ****-poor job at slowing down the spindle, and isn't particularly useful.

I don’t have drawings of it, but I took some pictures of the one on my machine. The brake looks like a T with the wide part on the inside of the pulley with what looks like a slot with some sort of braking material in it. The brake pivots on the pin that is used for the pulley cover as well. I would think mild steel would be a good choice of material to make it, as for the brake material, I have no idea. I’m sure McMaster-Carr has something that will work.

The inside of my pulley has a groove worn in it, so the previous owner probably used it heavily. I very rarely use it, coast to stop is fine for me. When I need to change a collet, I use the spindle lock pin to secure the pulley.

To answer your question about the table X axis handle, the through hole is 5/8” and the key width is 3/16”. I haven’t found any places that have a premachined handle, usually they have a pilot bore so that you can machine to your specifications. You might try DC Morrison and see if they have what you need, they sell Burke Millrite parts.

Thank you Ischgl99 for the info and the photos. That did help me better visualize what the part looks like that is missing. I will check with DC Morrison to see if they have something that will work for the handle. I appreciate your response... As for the brake it seems like something I can hold off on creating if its rarely used and not so effective. Also great input. So many other areas that need attention.

Thank you Ischgl99 for the info and the photos. That did help me better visualize what the part looks like that is missing. I will check with DC Morrison to see if they have something that will work for the handle. I appreciate your response... As for the brake it seems like something I can hold off on creating if its rarely used and not so effective. Also great input. So many other areas that need attention.
You’re welcome, definitely not an area I would put much if any effort into, but when you have some down time and looking for a project, might be something to do.

Here is a photo of mine - awaiting some brake pad material to be epoxied on.
The material I ordered from Mc Master
6224K3High-Strength Brake and Clutch Lining, 3/16" Thick x 1" Wide x 1 Foot Long

I made the rod which was missing as was the knob. The rod is longer than stock by about 2"
MV1 Brake - no pad.jpeg

The 3/16" brake material arrived from McMaster and I epoxied it to the brake shoe casting. I clamped it against the cone pulley ID so it would have good contact.
New brake 1.jpeg

Brake Calmped.jpeg

New Brake INST.jpegNew Brake Clearance.jpegNew Brake on Mill.jpeg

The brake now works pretty well. It takes 1-2 seconds to stop the spindle with the belt on the middle sheave.
When I bought the mill, the lever for the brake was missing. I made a new rod (longer than stock), and had the plastic ball with a 3/8-16 brass insert in one of my junk bins. It sadly doesn't hold the spindle well enough to properly tighten the collets (like my Lagun did), so I use the pin engaged in the pulley for that.

Nice job on that. I think next time I take my spindle apart, I will finally repair the brake in case I decide to use it.

I was wondering what device you had mounted to the top of the spindle, then expanded the picture and realized it was your garage door opener!

Haha - yup - bad camera angle, till I can afford to build a shop, my shop is a bit less than 1/2 of a 2-car. Have to be careful to vacuum up all the chips after every operation and make sure not to track 'em into the house.

Haha - yup - bad camera angle, till I can afford to build a shop, my shop is a bit less than 1/2 of a 2-car. Have to be careful to vacuum up all the chips after every operation and make sure not to track 'em into the house.
Same problem with my basement shop, even though I am careful, I keep finding some chips upstairs. Luckily before my wife finds them!

Back