Burke MVN Millrite - Newbie - Questions

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
OK, I got the little mill home this weekend, it has some issues with the power feed but I think it could be in the sector handle, works one way but not the other.
IMG_20170304_134924912.jpg IMG_20170305_171222686.jpg IMG_20170305_174053538_TOP.jpg US Burke Mill MV I  side view.jpg 00B0B_lWnVGAFXgjp_600x450.jpg Then I took the collect chuck out expecting to find a B&S #9 taper and look what I found. nmtb30 taper collet chuck. Anyone else have anything like this? I seen them reground to R8 but this is an universal collet chuck with zz collets. Any help would be great.

Bill

Anyone else have anything like this?

Yup, I have the same on my machine. A bit expensive and hard to find on the used market, but a nice system. I have been buying them up as I find them, probably have about 20 holders now.

Nice machine! :encourage:

Yup, I have the same on my machine. A bit expensive and hard to find on the used market, but a nice system. I have been buying them up as I find them, probably have about 20 holders now.

Nice machine! :encourage:
Jim,
From what I have measured it is a nmbt30 holder, which there are several types of collets you can use such as ER32

Yes, that is a NMBT30, sort of. The Erickson QC 30 and the NMBT30 are not quite the same, but for your use with a drawbar would be interchangeable. If using a NMBT30 holder in an Erickson QC spindle, you have to modify the flange to fit. In fact that particular one looks like a genuine Erickson QC30 (Kennametal). You can get just about any collet or nose that you want. I think Ebay will be your friend here. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nmtb-30

Yes, that is a NMBT30, sort of. The Erickson QC 30 and the NMBT30 are not quite the same, but for your use with a drawbar would be interchangeable. If using a NMBT30 holder in an Erickson QC spindle, you have to modify the flange to fit. In fact that particular one looks like a genuine Erickson QC30 (Kennametal). You can get just about any collet or nose that you want. I think Ebay will be your friend here. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nmtb-30

Thanks for the information. It is amazing how many people have told me that I needed to get it ground to fit R8.

It has Universal 30.MM on it and uses ZZ collets. Ive found some collets but I was looking to use something like a NMBT30 with a ER2 collet. There is more of them out there. You say I would have to modifiy the flange is QC30 thinner? or what would the modification be.

Bill

The Erickson flange is a bit thinner, and has a bit more clearance below the flange. The only reason you would need to modify the NMBT 30 flange is if you had a Erickson QC spindle. If you are using a drawbar, then it makes no difference.

This is an Erickson QC spindle with a NMBT 30 EM holder in it (and my air engraving spindle)

upload_2017-3-7_15-24-33.png

Without the nut on it.
upload_2017-3-7_15-25-32.png

Last edited:
The Erickson flange is a bit thinner, and has a bit more clearance below the flange. The only reason you would need to modify the NMBT 30 flange is if you had a Erickson QC spindle. If you are using a drawbar, then it makes no difference.

This is an Erickson QC spindle with a NMBT 30 EM holder in it (and my air engraving spindle)

View attachment 228114

Without the nut on it.
View attachment 228115

Jim,
Thanks for the information. Last night I took the chuck that I have and measured it and found that everything is the same but the flange is thinner like you said. I will use a draw bar in the spindle but if I need to machine the flange a little then I can do that. By going to a NMBT30 collet chuck it will allow me to use collets that are more available, this is my thinking. I have ordered a new collet chuck and I'm going to experiment some. I will post pictures of what I've got.
Thanks again Jim you have been a big help.

Back