Burke No. 0

Lovely work Gary, That is a sweet little machine & is a nice complimentary machine to your Dore Westbury, ( Westbury was a genius) Thanks also to all the guys who have added to this excellent thread also

Hi core-oil, and many thanks for your kind words.

I live in Guernsey but am actually from Dumfries - just down the road from you :)

Now, the drawbar.

Drawing inspiration from (i.e. stealing the idea from) the blue coloured No 0 pictured near the start of this thread, I decided that the machine would look good with a big chunky locking knob at the back of the drawbar. I turned a piece of aluminium on the lathe using my new radius turning attachment to get a nice curve, and cut grooves using the Dore Westbury and dividing setup. A polish up resulted in the finished knob:

turning drawbar knob.JPG milling drawbar knob.jpg drawbar knob.jpg

I also used dies to cut threads on the ends of a section of steel bar to make the drawbar, and turned a collar to fit between the knob and the drawbar to act as a spacer and to keep the back end of the drawbar centred:

drawbar knob and collar.jpg

The pictures below show the drawbar assembly plus a Brown and Sharpe No.7 collet and endmill:

drawbar components.jpg drawbar assembled.jpg

Here is the completed drawbar in situ on the machine:

drawbar in situ.JPG

Almost there...

drawbar knob.jpg drawbar knob and collar.jpg drawbar components.jpg drawbar assembled.jpg drawbar in situ.JPG turning drawbar knob.JPG milling drawbar knob.jpg

Last edited:
Done at last!

Burke No 0 Restoration (small).jpg

But what about the motor?

Well, that question is answered in another thread .

Many thanks, guys, for all your kind interest, advice and support.

Now, I'd better do something about those weeds... ;-)

Burke No 0 Restoration (small).jpg

Last edited:
what a beautiful job, but with only one tiny picture?! We need, nay, demand more! That's some really fantastic work there Gary and you should be proud of yourself. It almost, but not quite, inspires me to do the same to my ancient no-name mini lathe and WT drill press. One day, when I have more time (or just time) than I do now.

Matt -

thanks for your feedback. I encourage you to restore your old machines!

OK - Tony at Lathes UK has asked me to do a few good quality pictures of the machine which he will post on his wonderful archive. Once he has done so, I'll post a link in this thread.

All the best,

gary

:))

Last edited:
just beautiful work Gary!!!
thanks for taking the time to share your machine rebuild with us.
all the best
mike:))

Back