Burke No. 0

what a beautiful job, but with only one tiny picture?! We need, nay, demand more!

:))

I have sent some photos to Tony at lathes UK as he requested, but it's taking a little longer than usual for him to post them - he is probably very busy. So - meanwhile- here are a few decent pictures of the finished machine:

01.JPG

07.JPG

11.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

01.JPG 03.JPG 07.JPG 11.JPG 22.JPG 23.JPG

Last edited:
Mattthemuppet - many thanks for your kind feedback and encouragement.

gary

always nice to hear from you,
the Burke is looking more beautiful than when it was new!

that's fantastic, congrats on getting your Burke featured!

That is just a beautiful restoration of a Burke # 0. I picked up a model 0 a few years back. Its was really butchered at some point by a previous owner, but I didn't have a mill yet so when I saw it on Ebay cheap; I bought it. Someone had cut a chunk of the upper housing in order to install a V-belt pulley. In any case I modified it and made a frame to mount a motor. Used it a few times to cut keyways. But it's so ugly and your restoration is awesome. You've shamed me. LOL You did a wonderful job Gary.

Very cool find Gary. I recently purchased a small horizontal mill and with it he gave me a Burke #4. It looks very similiar to your #0. I am not sure I am gonna keep the Burke as I do not have access to 3 phase power. I know there are cheap ways around it but I dont think I’ll go that route.

Don B, I am interested in your #4 surface grinder conversion. Do you have a theead you are updating with your progress? I am actually considering converting the horizontal mill into a surface grinder. Both machines have a rack and pinion X axis which would be perfect for a surface grinder.

Thank you both, guys.

@ Tim - something about silk purses and sow's ears comes to mind. It would have been hard for you to make that beautiful. Amazing that someone could do that is it not? Presumably they didn't understand the value of what they were hacking at...

@ 9t8z28 - I'd encourage you to think about the possibility of an inverter. I have converted both my drill press and lathe, and they are great (the drill press especially). Just imagine your No.4 with massive torque and variable speed control! Having said that, I don't know what your other horizontall is :). Will look at your postings in aa minute to see if it's featured.

BTW am planning to convert my 0 back to flat belt as I'm building a lineshaft in my shop in France...

Cheers,

gary

Back