• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Burke T-bolt Stud Diameter

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
hi all, I am making up some t nuts for my Burke #4. (Single slot table). Didn't come with any... Anyway, is there a preferred or standard size stud diameter to use when drilling and taping the T Nuts?

I make the possible range of studs from 3/8" to 7/16". 3/8" Seems a bit lite weight for good work holding and 7/16" seems a tad big for the diminutive size of the t nut.

I really only want to drill and tap these out one time...!

(Edit: since I posted, I found Marks burke thread where he mentions using 3/8 x16 threaded studs for work holding. So will go with that, unless someone advises a better size. )

Thanks

Glenn

Last edited:
N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Glen, I will measure one of mine for you today when I get home.

3/8 does sound right though.

Glenn Brooks

Thanks Nels!

dgehricke

Active User
Glenn,
I use 5/16 , ¼ and ⅜ It depends on what I am working on.
A word of caution don't over tighten with any thing these tables are known for blow outs from over tightening hold downs.
I found a bunch of diesel engine 5/16 bolts and injector hold downs perfect for holding vise or tooling plate also put some paper under your set ups to prevent slipping
dgehricke

Glenn Brooks

Thanks dgehricke, think I will start with 3/8 and maybe do a couple of 1/4" with mini clamps to experiment.

Glenn

[6]
[5] [7]