Rotating Welding Positioner

Milling bronze is a messy business
This time I made the sliding contactor for the rotating welding positioner. The poor thing is made out of a block of bearing bronze.

Use of the boring head and some soldering
I made a cable to short-circuit the tapered roller bearings found at the ends of the rotating shaft of the rotating welding positioner. This cable comes between the sliding electrical contact and the bearing body.
A flat area is required for the bearing housing, which is round, so that the cable shoe makes good electrical contact with it.
So Metcal, Schaublin and Wohlhaupter UPA3 are in use.
Forumshot1.jpg

Change from strange to a bipolar motor
The welding rotating positioner comes with a motor to rotate it. The torque of the motor should be proportional to its rather robust construction.
A quite robust stepper motor from Superior was found in my pile of motors. It only had one little but. Its winding was connected so that it was not compatible with commercial drivers.
A closer look showed that the winding could be easily converted to bipolar. Working for a moment with Dremel and soldering with Metcal. Works.
I have ordered a 220 volt driver made by the Chinese to get the full torque from that motor.
The engine is very quiet.

Forumsho1.jpg

Back