Busy Bee DF-1240G (Rex-Cut) Is it worth Keeping??

David Bowen

Registered
Registered
I just bought 2 lathes at an auction.
They were a Gromatic 140 (Dutch) 12 x 30", and a Busy Bee DF-1240G (12"x40") also goes by Rex-Cut DF-1240G (Taiwanese).
Both of these need accessories like steady rest , four jaw chuck , etc.
Only planning to keep one machine.
What should I sink my money into.
It looks like the BusyBee would be easy to locate the items I need but I'm wondering if the quality is there.
The Gromatic seems to be a superior quality machine but parts may be an issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanksgromatic 140.jpgDF-1240G.jpg
David

DF-1240G.jpg gromatic 140.jpg

I just bought 2 lathes at an auction.
They were a Gromatic 140 (Dutch) 12 x 30", and a Busy Bee DF-1240G (12"x40") also goes by Rex-Cut DF-1240G (Taiwanese).
Both of these need accessories like steady rest , four jaw chuck , etc.
Only planning to keep one machine.
What should I sink my money into.
It looks like the BusyBee would be easy to locate the items I need but I'm wondering if the quality is there.
The Gromatic seems to be a superior quality machine but parts may be an issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

As you now own both of these machines I'd suggest that you spend a little time looking for wear in both of them, then do a little turning on both large and small identical workpieces in each machine, and compare the results.
Then, do some research on parts availability and price for both of them.

Put the results for the wear, turning and parts in two vertical columns, compare the two :thinking: , and your decision should be clear!

M

As you now own both of these machines I'd suggest that you spend a little time looking for wear in both of them, then do a little turning on both large and small identical workpieces in each machine, and compare the results.
Then, do some research on parts availability and price for both of them.

M

For my 2 cents worth I agree! You have a big test drive advantage since you own both. That Busy Bee looks much older than any that I have seen so parts may not be anymore available than the Gromatic. Also take some time to compare the features of both lathes like speeds, spindle bore size and thread cutting sizes. I have learned that the best lathe in the world isn't worth 5 cent to YOU if it won't do what you need it to.

I've love Smithers - we almost moved there!!
The Gromatic does have the tailstock and a taper attachment.
I'm persoally leaning towards keeping it .
Idid get some good advise though on this site and am going top run both machines and do a comparison test before I decide.
By the way -I am looking also looking for any for info on the Gromatic 140 9tghere's very limited info on them on the web).

David.

Thanks for the advice!!
I'm going to take it and do the comparison.
Look forward to seeing which machine comes out on top.

David

Back