Butterfield Tap Wrench ?

Sackett

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, I picked up a Butterfield # 9 tap wrench for pennies from one of my regular vendors at flea market. It needed a bit of "tlc",,, but cleaned up quite nice in the end. The only issue with it is a small chunk missing out of moveable jaw. I've looked n looked , n studied n pondered ,,,,even watched Mr Pete rebuilding a "Greenfield" one,,,but no apperant way to disasemble . Anybody kno how movable jaw comes out??? Plan to make replacement one on shapewr if I can get this apart. tks Dail

I think you have to remove the stationary jaw first, then screw the movable jaw as far as it goes towards the stationary end so it unscrews from the threads inside the handle.

I think you have to remove the stationary jaw first, then screw the movable jaw as far as it goes towards the stationary end so it unscrews from the threads inside the handle.
That is for sure the way to do it on a Greenfield Tap and Die tap driver, but I have no knowledge of a "Butterfield" tap driver...

Tried getting fixed jaw out,,,even tapped down toward movable jaw as far as will go couldnt get it out. Hasslides /slots that it fits into,, n wont clear those to drop out,,,will take another go at it tomorrow mornin

I have seen some Butterfield wrenches that have what appears to be a small cross-pin through the movable jaw. My guess is that the pin passes through a groove in the buried tenon part of the handle. Driving the pin through may allow the jaw to separate from the handle.

-frank

image.png

Tks guys,,Frank seems to have fgound the solution. I went at it a bit ago wit some 320 emory paper, n 3 N 1 oil. There appears to be small circle right where Frank indicated on his drawing.I'll have to stop by buddies in a bit as I dont seem to have a punch that small, n my old eyes n shakey hands aint gonna get it ,,,,sigh . tks fellas Dail

Back