Bux-Milwaukee Restoration Project

wcunning

Registered
Registered
Folks,

I have a Bux-Milwaukee mag drill that I bought off of local Craigslist for $200 a few months ago, and I'm in the process of rebuilding/restoring it before I put it to use to drill the holes for my DRO scale mounts. Unfortunately, it has a broken "magnet on" indicator light, and I'm debating what I should do in the process of replacing the cracked and broken old wiring on it. Does anyone have one of these in good condition? Or the manual for the magnetic base? Any help in locating either would be *greatly* appreciated.

I'll post pictures in this thread tonight after work.

Thanks,
Will

I own a Milwaukee mag drill , but have never had it not work for me. The prior owners was a rental outfit , the said it would drop off when drilling I beams vertically. But only way I could get it to let go was too much pulling pressure on the handles. Not sure if I can help but old wiring can be coated with liquid electric tape or silicone dried before using . If the wires are accessible shrink tubing will work.

Back at this project once again! I found an eBay buy-it-now of a bunch of Bux literature, and for the $20, I now have pretty much all of the exploded parts diagram/information I could want on the thing. Unfortunately, Vintage Machinery is less than certain they want to add a manufacturer's page for Bux, so I'm uploading the scans here for the moment so that others can find them.

I know I need to do a bunch of work to mine, not necessarily because it's non-functional without it, but because I want to make it good/right again.
1) Make a new rear brace/foot with knurled lock ring
2) Replace the cord for the main unit
3) Replace/make a new cover for the light that indicates the magnet is on -- this part doesn't exist and may be especially hard to do something with, but we'll see
4) Free up the swivel/reposition mechanism since it seems to be entirely frozen right now
5) Replace the brushes on the antique Milwaukee drill that came with the unit
6) Find a ball to mount on the switch that turns on/reverses the Milwaukee drill

Cheers,
Will

Attachments

• bux-drill-brackets.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 490
  • bux-l1.pdf
    914.1 KB · Views: 410
  • bux-l2.pdf
    972.9 KB · Views: 690
  • bux-l2rp.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 435
  • bux-mag-drill-brochure.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 1,050
  • bux-service-information.pdf
    354.5 KB · Views: 407
  • bux-shrader-brochure.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 836
Folks,

I have a Bux-Milwaukee mag drill that I bought off of local Craigslist for $200 a few months ago, and I'm in the process of rebuilding/restoring it before I put it to use to drill the holes for my DRO scale mounts. Unfortunately, it has a broken "magnet on" indicator light, and I'm debating what I should do in the process of replacing the cracked and broken old wiring on it. Does anyone have one of these in good condition? Or the manual for the magnetic base? Any help in locating either would be *greatly* appreciated.

I'll post pictures in this thread tonight after work.

Thanks,
Will

Hey Will, you must be putting in a lot of OT. :grin: But seriously, we'd love to see some pics.

And thanks for the literature, they would be a great addition to our downloads section. :encourage:

So, updates on the mag base from the weekend, though I won't be posting pictures until I take some, probably later on in the week.

First of all, I have a few more "exploded part diagram" pages than I bothered to scan, since they're all for the L2RP design of mag base. Turns out, there are some differences and one of those versions is a little more representative of my rectangular magnet base H2RP instead of L2RP, due to design changes over a several year period. I'm still figuring out what's right and what's wrong with the cam mechanism to free up the positioning setup before I put it all back together, so that's what the next couple of picture heavy posts will be focused on.

This weekend I got the wiring done, replaced the light with a modern LED based industrial indicator light from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2QW9KQ), and after watching some youtube teardown discussions on these kind of indicator lights decided it would be fine for my situation (
). It's pretty much a perfect fit in the side of the mag base and it works perfectly. I also got a very nice cord installed to replace the old one which had years of ugly electrical tape repairs all over it. The new one is a "US Wire" SJEOW extension cord with the female end cut off. It's pretty much exactly the cord I want anywhere near cutting fluid, shop detritus and other things that I wouldn't want to subject a cheap Home Depot cord to. Entertainingly, a 25ft 12/3 cord, made in America with a proper oil resistant jacket (that's what the O in SJEOW means), is cheaper on Amazon than a crappy extension cord from Home Depot...

Post to follow later this week with good pictures inside things.

Not trying to revive an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks so much for posting the catalogs and diagrams. Super useful!

Back