Buy first, ask later. Episode 1

100LL

Registered
Registered
Well I’m a somewhat newb to the hobby (I’ve got an intro out there somewhere if anyone cares to be bored by the full story), and with little kids around my most effective machine hobby is buying things with the hope of someday using them.

Well, I’ve wound up with some th8ngs that I honestly done know what they are and/or what they’re meant to do. Some things also I don’t know if they’re appropriate for my shop.

So here’s episode one, with more to follow, soliciting help and advice.
Thanks in advance.
———————————
Some sort of center punch? Why the flats and the conic portion? Did these belong to a tool of some kind?

678C724E-E208-4A23-ACB5-68396B14781D.jpeg

4069AAF5-BB84-4F94-AE51-8BB5B7BA3C98.jpeg

I think those are punch press dies, the little cone tip holds the sheet metal in place during the punching operation-
Mark

Those are punches for producing holes in sheet stock. The angled surfaces on the OD are associated with retainers that keep the punch in its holder. The tit in the center helps stabilize the sheet on contact. The angled flats on the end are to create a shearing action in the cut and reduces the pressure required to complete the hole. Not sure what the smallest piece is (it might be an ejector pin).

Without the mating dies and a press, they are pieces of hardened metal in your collection.

Last edited:
One of them looks like a roper whitney punch.
The skinny one with the angled head is a bevel head punch used in tool and die making - I used a lot of them making tooling for the punch press. They are made for steel. It's hard to tell the diameter of them. They could be for a hand punch or single station press.

so absent the press these are useless i suppose??

They are probably pretty hard, repurposing them would be a problem, they would be happier with the punch press they work on. Ied probably eBay them.

nope, you just need to buy a punch press :) I know where you can find a cute little one for probably not much money in Boerne TX if you fancy a drive..

The punches are also missing the rings needed to backup the punch and metal plate that you are trying to punch a hole into.
Thinking of a press, guessing at least a 75 ton.

Enough tonnage to get your neighbor down the street excited! Next door, well, not a happy neighbor.

You may be able to use a hydraulic press for punching holes, I'd try to anyway. Even if I had to make the ring for them.

Back