Buy first, ask later. Episode 2

100LL

Registered
Registered
One of the items that came with a big purchase was what I've discovered to be a shop-made index / divider from casting kit commonly called a Versatile Dividing Head
from Geo Thomas.
more info here: Versatile Dividing Head

Well I almost got the thing figured out, but not quite. The central issue and reason for this post is that the fella that built this (and from whose son I bought it all) had a milling machine that I bought and I said "yea I'll take this and that in the pile"

I just kind of figured this little dividing head would be set up to mount on the milling table, but alas it is not. I know he had a myford lathe (which the son kept for his personal use).
Can anyone more or less confirm that these base holes and alignment block were cut for placement on a myford lathe cross-slide. Is the thing worth modifying for use on my mill or best to find it a new home? (I do have a BS-0 style dividing head that I'm trying to complete as a few parts are missing).

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

No - clearly not worht modifying by making an adapter base plate.
Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

i was thinking a guy with a myford might prize it. But i'm not sure if I can market it that way.

What do you want for it? I’d be very interested. Please PM me

Second look. It appears that the top sections are bolted to the bottom sections, as if there were options on the bottom section, or the bottom sections were an addition.
Perhaps new bottom sections could be fabricated to be used on the current mill.

Just noticed your post Tyler. I've been planning to build a dividing head....One of those many projects in the long Queue. I was leaning towards Mark's designed "Dividing head anyone can build." But looking around towards other designs also since I've got a few different gears than he had.
In any case, yes that does look like George Thomas design. If you're interested, I ran across a wonderful detailed description on YouTube of the Thomas Dividing head. Here's the link.
Kosmos - Machinist Projects.

Its a beautiful piece of workmanship and very cool design. And yes...I'm guessing its holes for the t-nuts are designed for spacing on an English mill or lathe. I've been looking for one and they just don't show up often. You should try not to butcher it. Just clamp it with t-nuts on one side and use an overhead clamp on the other side to clamp to your table. Great find there.

I found that video a little while ago and for some good info out of it. Although I wished the creator knew how to use some editing software and maybe write some notes before turning the camera on.

I’m definitely leaving it as is. It’s just a work of art and in time I’ll probably let it go to a myford guy. For now it’s like a trophy fish on my rotary table shelf.

Back