Buying a 15x24 Monarch Lathe

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Registered
Im heading down to Ohio at 11 am today to look at maybe buying a 15x24 Monarch Lathe. What do I need to take a look at before I load it up. I know to make sure it has way wipers and check the ways, look at the wear on the rack, engage the clutch, close the half nuts and test the play in the carriage handwheel and the the other basic stuff.

This is going to be my first gear driven lathe, upgrading from a South Bend just trying to make sure if there's anything funny that I need to that I should check and make sure works.

You guys are the best thank you.

That is a 15" 4 jaw......

Screenshot_2020-05-19-20-44-36.png

Im heading down to Ohio at 11 am today to look at maybe buying a 15x24 Monarch Lathe. What do I need to take a look at before I load it up. I know to make sure it has way wipers and check the ways, look at the wear on the rack, engage the clutch, close the half nuts and test the play in the carriage handwheel and the the other basic stuff.

This is going to be my first gear driven lathe, upgrading from a South Bend just trying to make sure if there's anything funny that I need to that I should check and make sure works.

You guys are the best thank you.

That is a 15" 4 jaw......

View attachment 324952
======================================
I ran one much like that in the early 60s, in a job shop. Only downside was the max RPM was only something like 300 rpm. Really, only got used for large heavy work. You could hog material with it very well. I worked there for 7 years and when we needed it, it was a great machine. ---- John

You won't stop that gear head.
Small operating window but if that's all you need. They are awesome machines.

Back