Buying a 15x24 Monarch Lathe

I have a great lathe currently and have no need for another, but this thread is really making me itch.

I already had 3 lathes..... lol This is #4.....

I have two South Bend Heavy 10 Lathes 3ft bed & a 3.5ft bed and a craftsman 109 that might get turned into 4 axis.....lol

But this is my first gear driven lathe....

There are only 2 brass plates 1 for the spindle speeds and 1 for the leadscrew....... Looks like 8 speeds....
View attachment 325318View attachment 325319
In some of the Monarch info I read, they state that the manufacture plate will be attached to every lathe they make. I guess yours has been removed. My lathe, by gear turns to 900 rpm. From what I have read it can be bumped up from that if need be, by the VFD.

The Monarch Runs!!!!!

I got the cover back on and its full of new oil..... Now I need to make a new chuck wrench for a 1/2 square drive.....

Only a few more parts to degrease.... I have been using my vapor blasting cabinet to degrease parts it almost feels like cheating..... I also need to get a MT4 Reamer to fix the tailstock.....

Last edited:
Looks like it will clean up well, about the size and vintage of the lathe I did my apprenticeship on, although a different brand.

Just finished my 1/2" chuck wrench today after work..... Perfect fit.... Made from 3/4"" 1045 TGP with a 1/2" 304 stainless sliding handle.... I cut the square on the surface grinder in a 5c spindex, just plunged it .125" and walked it in, finished part is at .49995..... lol sooo close.....
Resized_20200601_224541.jpeg
I heated the ends with a torch and smashed them with a hammer.....
Resized_20200601_224522.jpeg

When Richard King came to my shop I made sure to leave a chuck wrench in a lathe chuck just to see if i could get a reaction from him..... He walks in the room and spots it first thing goes over to it, gives me the death stare while placing it in a safe place, never saying a single word......LULZ

And that was just on the South Bend if I would have done this with the Monarch he might have slapped me across the mouth.... lol

Sorry Rich I just had to troll you a little bit, I couldn't help myself.....

Last edited:
Back