Buying a house - building a shop.

I have 5/8" sanded plywood on my walls. I applied clear stain and two coats of lacquer to give the wood some depth and sheen. I also highly recommend screwing it on in case you need to access the wall cavities.
Here's a picture of my very messy shop.
Okay, I give up. Where's the mess?

Just for interest ask the realtor if there is a house on an acre or so with an outbuilding. They may find something that works with your needs. Then you have your shop.

@campellob ,

You joined us 1.5 months ago, but that's your first post......

Welcome to the group!

-brino

Hi All,

In a few months, my wife and I are going to be buying our first house. We currently rent a 1300 sq-ft place and will be getting something likely a bit bigger. While we haven't picked the house, I have a good feeling that I will be setting up the shop in the basement again. I current have a space about 15' x 15' but I'd like to expand that a little. I currently have a G0704, a 12x36 lathe, (2) 3x6' workbenches, and a few 3x6' shelves.

What would be some suggestions for starting a shop from scratch? I'm thinking of putting up walls around the shop in the basement with some sort of sound damping in the walls and ceiling. I'd also like to seal the floor with something that will be easy to clean, won't stain with oil, and won't scratch up too much from chips. First thoughts are the epoxy coating in garages, although I don't know the durability.

I'd also like to add a clean workbench station for inspection and electronics work. I'd have my soldering stuff and a oscilloscope set up so I'd like to have a way to keep it free from dust and oil.

Just brainstorming right now, but will get serious once the house is purchased.

Mike
Get extra bedrooms.

Once you get your shop all set up, you'll fill it just like you did with your 15x15 space.
If you have extra bedrooms then you can have the overflow there. An extra bathroom helps too. You don't want to have no room in the bathroom to poop so an extra bathroom is a must.
Might as well find a place with big closets too. How can you possibly find a spot when the bathroom is full of you don't have extra closet space.

And pro tip. If you put your bed on a 40" pedestal, a lot of rolling tool boxes will fit under it.

Yes, I know the wife won't be happy but just remember, your tools never, ever, have a headache.

How many of these replies are spam bots? These are getting very common on a couple of the message boards I frequent.
Joe

If you build a shop along with the house can you have a budget in the mortgage like you would for appliances for new shop machines and tools?

How many of these replies are spam bots? These are getting very common on a couple of the message boards I frequent.
Joe
Spambots ? Here? can you give an example of a reply here that you think is generated by a spambot?

Posts #35-#39. Most of these replies are just a generic sentence. They sometimes don't make sense for the information in the thread.
One of them has a link to click.
A couple of their profiles say former members. Yes they are older but they have established a profile and after a couple months time they will reappear.
Joe

Posts #35-#39. Most of these replies are just a generic sentence. They sometimes don't make sense for the information in the thread.
One of them has a link to click.
A couple of their profiles say former members. Yes they are older but they have established a profile and after a couple months time they will reappear.
Joe
Our moderators are quite good. If someone is listed as a former member it’s quite likely the account was disabled for a reason.

Please report any harmful or inappropriate content and it will be dealt with. I see no problem with leaving innocuous content though.

John

Back