Buying a lathe, what tooling should I get/avoid?

If I am looking at the drawing correctly, you may need a steady rest in order to make those internal grooves.

David

If I am looking at the drawing correctly, you may need a steady rest in order to make those internal grooves.

David

I believe that's true. The lathe comes with one, so I should be good there.

Thanks for the bench links RandyM!

1 1/2" bore thru the headstock and a steady rest that is capable to hold that size piece. The ones typically sold with the smaller lathes may not have that capacity.
Just things to look out for. You have the headstock bore, good choice on a lathe. It's a quagmire of features, specs, and lathe/machinist jargon.

Good luck :encourage:

Wow, thanks mikey! You guys are great around here. I hope I can contribute more as I learn.

So, that still leaves me with the same question though. What supplies should I be looking for to get started? Is the basic dial indicator enough to get going? I guess I need to start trolling eBay more.. :)

Here's another source of micrometers, indicators etc. These guys sell refurbished tools at reasonable prices which is a lot better than taking
your chances on eBay. I bought a 2" micrometer from them: they shipped quickly and the tool is fine.

https://shop.idealprec.com/collections/demo-items

Here's another source of micrometers, indicators etc. These guys sell refurbished tools at reasonable prices which is a lot better than taking
your chances on eBay. I bought a 2" micrometer from them: they shipped quickly and the tool is fine.

https://shop.idealprec.com/collections/demo-items

Looks like they have some nice gear. What kind of range and graduation should I be looking for as a basic DI for general use on the lathe? It seems like most would work, but I wonder if I'm missing something..

It doesn't seem like I would ever want a workpiece 0.5" off center, so aligning in a chuck should be fine. I can see measuring movement of the tools perhaps using a longer range though.

A 0-1" travel, 0.0005" DI would work.

I don't have DRO's on my lathe. I have a 0.001 resolution 2 inch travel dial indicator mounted on the lathe bed.
I also have a .030 range 0.0001 resolution DTI for indicating in chucks and tapers and such.

I didn't get started on this thread to sell stuff. Really I didn't...
I'm off to work for my weekend shift.
However, on Monday I'll list some inspection equipment in the for sale here at HM.

Daryl
MN

Ok. So I order an 1127. What do I need to get it ready to make chips? I've never set up a new machine before. Reading up, sounds like after running things a bit for testing, I would be smart to clean it up really well and change the oil.

Can it sit on my bench or does it need to be bolted down? I can get some dead trees in to make a stand too. Might be a fun project while I wait.

I'm looking at the manual for the 1228 as Matt has mentioned they are very similar.

Things to get...

Degreaser to remove the "waxy oil". They recommend against brake cleaners and acetone. Any recommendations?
Fresh oil. Type? ISO 68.. Any recommended brands?
It mentions including an oiler, so I'm probably good there.
Some round stock of the previously mentioned types. 1" diameter?

Remove schmoo
Check oil level
Test and inspect
Clean and oil change, lube the ball oilers
Level and test for taper etc..
Turn perfectly good stock into chips..
Drool over other tooling I'll want later (there's always another tool to drool at)

Back