Buying a lathe, what tooling should I get/avoid?

Well, I have a few calipers, dial and digital. I also have a couple Starett micrometers. I do have a HF mag base and dial indicator. I have no idea how accurate that is.. Are there some good brands/vendors for those?

I'm planning on getting HSS blanks and/or used bits to grind. I made some models from keystock (thanks mikey!) that went well.

It can be a few websites. It is a gift from my employer, thus the budget and source restrictions. I don't want to make it difficult for them to order.

Now, I have to admit that the 1127 does look like a nice machine. And I could toss in the extra cash for the shipping cost. I would have to source some tooling though. At least a few HSS blanks to grind on. I can build a stand and put it on my bench for now. I had been considering the smaller machine so I could also get the tooling. But if it's really that much better, it might be worth it to consider.

Z2V, that's very generous of you. Thanks for the offer.

I would have to source some tooling though. At least a few HSS blanks to grind on.

You buy the lathe and I'll send you some good HSS blanks for free! (Unground, of course. You gotta' jump in some time.) :)

Wow, thanks mikey! You guys are great around here. I hope I can contribute more as I learn.

So, that still leaves me with the same question though. What supplies should I be looking for to get started? Is the basic dial indicator enough to get going? I guess I need to start trolling eBay more.. :)

You can get the machine, some tool blanks, some scrap metal and at least get used to using the machine. Then as you go you can start thinking about precision.

Wow, thanks mikey! You guys are great around here. I hope I can contribute more as I learn.

So, that still leaves me with the same question though. What supplies should I be looking for to get started? Is the basic dial indicator enough to get going? I guess I need to start trolling eBay more.. :)

The 1127 comes with all the basic tooling you need other than a drill chuck and a live center. I will send you some 3/8" HSS blanks to play with. If you want to try using carbide tools, PM sells a nice set of SCLCR/L tools with inserts for a nice price: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/38-turning-38-boring-tool-set/

You need a decent dial indicator and a dial test indicator. If you want good quality, Mitutoyo is what I would go for. If you want the best, buy Swiss versions - Compac, B&S, Interapid; more expensive in the short term but much cheaper in the long run. Buy good condition used versions on ebay. You need the DI to center work in your 4 jaw chuck. You need the DTI to evaluate concentricity of your spindle and you will use it a LOT on your milling machine when you have one.

You already have dial calipers and mics so you're good there. Spotting drills, drill bits, center drills come next. Later, get boring bars. I would not invest in external carbide threading tools for now; they are relatively expensive and you can cut very good threads with a HSS threading tool for now. For internal threading you can use taps for now; invest in a decent internal threading bar/bars later.

If you need advice on which drills, boring tools, threading tools when you are ready to buy them, ask and we'll all chip in advice. Right now, you need to decide on a lathe. That will determine which drill chuck and live center you need. The rest can come later.

Oh, almost forgot. When your lathe shows up, buy some 6061-T6 and some 12L14 mild steel to start learning to turn. These materials are easy to machine and will help you to learn how to turn stuff. A good source is an ebay seller here: http://stores.ebay.com/Stoners-Tools-and-Raw-Materials?_rdc=1

When your lathe is on the way, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get some tool bits to you.

Nearly all my machine tools and tooling was used when I bought it.
I've upgraded my used stuff with better used stuff as I've learned machining.
Be careful about buying used stuff it can be tired or worn out. Similarly, inexpensive new stuff can be even worse for precision and accuracy.
Some of this stuff you can make yourself.

I've had really good luck with buying used stuff here at HM. This comment is merely truth, not an ad (I've occasionally put stuff up for sale here at HM). Price has been fair or cheap, and quality has always been as described. It often comes with online or even real time telephone coaching if I want/need it.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
It sounds like my thought that the DI I have is enough to make sure my workpiece is mostly straight for starting out and getting used to the machine. I fully expect accuracy to be limited by the operator to start with. It's been a long time since I ran a lathe, so I plan on starting with basic stuff. Turn to size, facing, and maybe threading. That should give me plenty of time to find better measuring equipment and fill in gaps for tooling. I've seen a few basic projects around that might be fun to learn with as well.

The longer term goal is stuff like this... http://www.lokiresearch.com/images/Documents/38mm_case.pdf

And I'm sure I'll find lots of interesting things to make as I go.

Thinking of projects, is dead tree good for a lathe bench or is this a good excuse to break out the welding gear? :)

Good and appropriate question!!!
There is currently an active thread on wood lathe benches.
Check it out...

Daryl
MN

Back