Buying A Torch For Silver Soldering - Advise Needed

What size are you interested in? This will influence the choice of heat source.

I assume this question is for me. Like I said, my initial goal is to learn a new skill. Until I gain some knowlege
about what I can or cannot accomplish with that skill, it's hard to know what I'll be doing with it, even though I have some projects in mind initially. It's like when I got my first lathe: If you had asked what I planned on doing with it, I would have
had no answer for you. I just wanted to learn something new and it looked interesting. I've made lots of parts on my lathes since then, but I probably couldn't have anticipated any of them. So, we'll see. :)

Last edited:
Slight OT here, but what torch would be recommended for Silvaloy 355 gunsmithing solder (SPECS: Melts at 1145° F., flows at 1205° F. 56% silver.). Attaching 0.300" carbon or stainless to a thinner pistol frame.

If you were putting a sight on a barrel, I would recommend oxy acetylene and a small 0 or 00 tip. If you mean that you will be laminating the sides of the skinny frame, that's a job for a furnace. The heat required for that solder will anneal your parts.

MAAP gas is hot enough for brazing most small items or thin cross-sections ( about 2900°C)
Air- Acetylene torches burn slightly cooler than the MAAP (about 2200°C)

I have been eyeing this Smith Acetylene-Air torch for similar applications - silver soldering & general heating to displace multiple MAAP bottles that are not exactly cheap either. The medium sized acetylene tank is a bit more convenient to my shop. When I called my local welding shop they rent/sell them quite a bit to HVAC & plumbers who need something a bit more portable.

Anyways my question. They quote 2632 degC so 400-ish higher than what you referenced. Is this one of those 'it depends' type specs?

The other system I hear a lot about in model engineering forums, maybe more Euro orientated, is Sievert propane systems. The BBQ cylinder & fillup is pretty convenient. The temps seem to range by burner type, I see reference between 400-720C
many nozzles available

I just purchased a Smith Little Torch. I’m inclined to think it’s a Asian knock off because even though the box says Smith Little Torch, nowhere does it say made in USA. But it was only 30.00 on EBay . FWIW... USA sellers now have them for 20.00
That said... the tips were not precision drilled. So I cleaned up the tips using a tip cleaner,.... the ones with all the different gauge wire file/ reamers.
And then I went to hook it up to the tote tanks.. my old regulator leaked. So I purchased the SAU regulator set. I love this little torch. Awesome ! For Silver Brazing it’s the cats meow. I was having trouble brazing small items with my Miller 100 series rig. But this little torch is just fantastic for small items.

Attachments

• 8EB5049D-3A73-4638-B922-FA3547929CB5.jpeg
    8EB5049D-3A73-4638-B922-FA3547929CB5.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 88F3FBBE-4768-4E5F-AD0E-25549099BC2C.jpeg
    88F3FBBE-4768-4E5F-AD0E-25549099BC2C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
First Attempts:

I went ahead and bought some Muggyweld SSF-6 and gave it a try this evening. My first try was an utter failure, so I went
back and reviewed the videos from Muggyweld. This is my second attempt, which I think is satisfactory, even though a bit
untidy. I probably used more rod than needed, but it left a fillet that won't hurt anything. I did this with propane.

IMG_1137.jpeg

I bought the firebrick from High Temp, Inc. in Portland: they manufacture them and will sell small quantities to hobbyists. These are high
temp bricks (3000 deg.) and cost a bit more than 5 bucks a piece. Tractor supply charges more than $2.50 now. :)

Last edited:
Back