buying advice for Smithy 1220XL 3 in 1

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Saw this on sale. Wanted to know your thoughts on if I should consider buying it. I'm limited on space. I'd consider a 3 in 1 but have never used one. I'm teaching Engineering at a local high school and would like a machine for home use so I can create projects at home and on weekends. This will prevent me from having to stay late during the school year or come in over summer. I have access to bigger machines at work, but I'm mostly going to make small stuff.

Is this a decent 3 in 1 and is this a fair price? What am I looking for? Are parts available?

A Midas Smithy Mill and Lathe 1220XL. This has the extra long tool table. This is in great shape and runs well with very little use. Includes, spring loaded ejection chuck key, vice and tool holder.

$1700 o.b.o. Extras NOT included in this Price!

Lots of extras that are some as an addition cost. Almost all of these accessories have never been used and are still in boxes and I have priced them to move. All of these for another $250 ($300 individually priced)
3/8" arbor $15
1/2" arbor $20
5/8" arbor $20
Clamping set (never used). $40
Tunsten mill bits $50
Cutting blade $20
Cutting Blade arbor: $15
Tailstock extension: $25
Lathe Live center: $35
Die holder: $10
Dead center: $10 each
Drill chuck: $20
Chuck arbor: $10

smithy 1.jpgsmithy 2.jpgsmithy 3.jpg

In the quest to be multi functional, 3 in 1 machines become less than ideal for most work. They do fit in a smaller space than separate machines, but also have reach, size, speeds, and rigidity issues. If at all possible, I would get a bench top lathe and a bench top mill for about the same total price, or perhaps less.

I agree. If you have the space for three machines (lathe, mill and drill press), go that route. If you don't, from what little I know of them, the Smithy machines generally have a good reputation.

Last edited:
Agree with all above- the mill portion is usually a poor compromise and gets in the way for lathe work. Get two small machines.
mark

I'm a little late to the party. But I have virtually the same machine and I have done a lot of things with it. I didn't get the memo that you can't make anything with a 3 in 1. See some of my projects on this website. Yes the mill head leaves a lot to be desired, no it doesn't get in the way when using it as a lathe. The lathe part is decent. For what is it worth, I paid I think $1200 for it including more tooling than shown above as extra. Good luck and have fun making chips! Dave

I decided to get a lathe and a mill. I got good deals on them. I think the 3 in 1 could have worked, though. Seems people either love them or hate them.

i had a hf CLONE, Central Machinery badged and HATED IT.
i sold it 2 months after purchase

ARC-170, not to hijack your thread but your original question is very close to what I'm looking at, albeit not the XL. I don't have a lot of space but I have even less patience so I'm wondering if this is right for me. My biggest hang up re: this model is a comment I read elsewhere which stated " Between the centerline of the lathe and the toolpost, there is less than two inches clearance. So when I put my cutoff toolholder in there's only enough room to cut something less than one inch!". Is this correct? 2nd question; I'm going to look/buy it Sat AM and it is in a storage unit w/o electricity plus he removed the head stock to lighten it enough for moving. I guess I can have him sign a statement guaranteeing the unit is functional but are there any tell tale signs to look for? This from the ad:

"Smithy Midas 1220 LTD Mill Drill Lathe + XYZ Digital Readout DRO + Steel Bench. Condition is Used. Local pickup only.

Included is the machine, the steel bench, the digital readout system, and the extras shown inside the drawers.

The machine goes for $2200, the tooling pack is an additional $766, the DRO is $700, and the steel bench is another $300 = $3966

I’m also including an ER32 collet tool holder (shown) along with a set of ER32 collets (shown)."

It's being offered for $2000. What are the collective thoughts on this besides "You'll wish you'd bought separate machines".

After looking at your location and Avatar I think we know one another from a 914 forum and your the guy that steered me here.
FWIW, I'm not in a hurry but I would like to hear y'alls thoughts so I can keep or cancel my Saturday appointment. TIA, Kent

My biggest hang up re: this model is a comment I read elsewhere which stated " Between the centerline of the lathe and the toolpost, there is less than two inches clearance. So when I put my cutoff toolholder in there's only enough room to cut something less than one inch!". Is this correct?
Not correct. In fact it seems nonsensical.

The owner's manual is available on Smithy's website. I think this is it:
https://smithy.com/sites/default/files/media/pdf/MI-1220 Manual 2010.pdf

It states the Swing is 12" and the Swing Over Work Table is 6-3/4” , those are the theoretical maximum radius of a work piece that could be cut....

Unless it is obvious that the machine has been used and abused, it would be worth your time to look at it and make an offer...
If it is like new, IMO, sight unseen, $2000 could be a good deal. If the seller is motivated to sell, you could get an even better deal.
Good luck!!
Dave

Thx Dave. I really appreciate your timely response. This seemed like a good starter machine and a good value. That one review made me re-think the purchase. The internet is such a Springboard for complainers that one never knows without an experts opinion. Thx again.

Back